New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > seeking advice on how to add DME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
FSBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default seeking advice on how to add DME

I'm about to do my first all DME brew tomorrow (having used LME previously), and I've heard some warnings about trying to put this powder into a boiling pot of water and that this might be problematic.

I'm wondering what suggestions people have. Can it be easily mixed with cold water first and then dumped in? Should I add the DME before boiling, or will this (most likely I'm guessing) just cause it to burn on the bottom of the pot?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
slicksmix
Recipes 

i add it during the boil. just watch out the steam doesnt make the powder stick to the bag.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I take it off the heat just like i would with LME, also because it tends to clump I use a wisk initially to get it mixed in. Also, the steam will definitely cause the powder to stick, kind of a pain every time to me.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3856 Times on 2817 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I never have any problems, but if you're concerned you could put the DME in a big (dry) bowl. When it's time to add it, take the pot off of the heat and whisk in the DME.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
sgillespie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had a problem mixing in while on the heat source. If you stir the crap out of it, there is a low risk of scorching

Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Has anyone premixed DME with cool water before adding it? The OP asked about doing it and I've wondered myself, as I've found adding DME to be a slight pain in the butt with all the clumping and boil-over potential.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
cenla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Has anyone premixed DME with cool water before adding it? The OP asked about doing it and I've wondered myself, as I've found adding DME to be a slight pain in the butt with all the clumping and boil-over potential.
I haven't needed to. In my experience, the clumping is annoying but not a real problem.

The boil over potential *is* an issue. The only solution I know of is to watch your kettle and stir continuously.

call me Mike.

dough, the stuff that buys the beer,
Ray, the guy that buys the beer...

Old 12-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Thanks to all who replied. I staged the DME in a big bowl and I feel this was helpful. I used a big flour scoop to help transfer it to the hot water, and this was easy to get any excess DME stuck on it off by stirring it in the wort for a minute.

There was quite a bit of foam on top initially, but I actually just skimmed this off and all went well (so far, knock on wood).

I posted a question related to the yeast in this brew over here in the ingredients forum.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I just did a DME batch about 2 hours ago...only problem I had was adding the whole bag at once. Do it in parts like maybe 1/2 then the other half....otherwise it clumps.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always mix my DME with cold water and my LME with hot water and I have had excellent results. I never had any issues with scorching. That is how I first learned from Dave Miller's book, so I have always stuck with it. One thing to note though, I have never done late extract editions with DME so I am not sure how that would work. . .

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Quick Reply