Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Seeking advice on extract pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
blackbear219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Seeking advice on extract pumpkin ale

Hi all,

I got the Pumpkin Ale kit from AHS. I meant to order the partial mash kit but I must have messed up because it came yesterday and I accidentally ordered the extract kit.

I have some canned pumpkin that I was going to mash with my grains, but since I'm going to be doing extract instead now, I need some advice.

I am going to bake the pumpkin on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes first, but after that should I steep it with my grains...or add it to the end of my boil?

Advice welcome

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
geim32
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just brewed some a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure how it tastes yet but I steeped mine with the grains per boil.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The AHS site also says to add it in with the grains during mashing. I think I am going to give it a shot that way. Adding it to the boil sounds like it could get a lot messier.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
joyceman
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I added the canned pumpkin to the boil for my extract batch. If you go this route you will have alot of trub. Ive seen people report on trying to steep with a paint bag, but usually having alot of the pumpkin ooze out of the strainer.

My next batch (assuming I still do extract next time) will involve cutting up fresh pummpkin and steeping the slices before steeping my grains.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
joyceman
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sorry double

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Beerhawk
Recipes 

Hello, this is my first post and I just did my second extract batch which is the Midwest pumpkin ale. So i don't have much to add, but I'd like to share my experience. I cut a sugar pumpkin and a butternut squash in quarters and roasted them on a cookie sheet for 1 hour @ 400. I then cooled them and did a rough pull apart which I then added to a bag for the whole 60 min. A small amount escaped the bag but the sample tasted great. Without the help of the search And other posters i'd be a nervous wreck. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Using canned pumpkin in the boil is going to give you trub, no real way around it. I have a wine bucket for batches like this to hold the extra trub. You could reduce the amount of pumpkin because the real flavor comes from the spices.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Quick Reply