Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sediment in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
SSD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sediment in primary

I have a bunch of trub in my primary. One I rack to secondary, can I add fresh water to balance back to 5 gallons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I wouldn't, it would just water down your beer. Trub loss is something you have to learn to work around. Start at 5.25 gallons if you need to and are really hoping for five gallons exactly. In the end it's only going to be a couple of beers you're loosing.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2290 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

Not unless you want to water down your beer. Make sure the beer is always at FG before any racking. then give it 3-7 days more to ssettle out clear or slightly misty. It cleans up by products of fermentation at this same time. Also,the trub becomes more compacted on the bottom of primary,giving more clear beer to rack out.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If you skip secondary and opt instead for a month long primary, and you then carefully rack the beer off the trub, you'd be surprised how much beer you get back. the longer you leave the beer alone, the more I've found the trub layer compacts, giving up the beer. I average about 52 beers from a normal 5 gallon batch, I've often got 2 cases and a full six pack from my beer, and I've NEVER "over compensated for trub loss" by putting more beer in the fermenter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2290 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

Me either. After 3 weeks or so,I get 48-51 bottles out of 5 gallons on average. 62-67 out of 6 gallons.

Quick Reply