Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sediment in bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Sediment in bottles

I did a 5 gallon batch of a wheat beer and there seems to be a lot more sediment in my bottles than I was expecting. I was pretty careful about not getting any of the crud from the carboy into the bottling bucket. And again, I was pretty careful not to get any crud from the bottling bucket in the bottles. So was I not as careful as I thought? Or is a fair amount of crud to be expected in a wheat beer? And as a follow up question, would racking my beer to a secondary for a few weeks clear up the crud?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wheat beer has a lot of yeast that doesn't flocc. You can try to cold crash before transfering to bottling bucket but its suppose to be cloudy

Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

kryolla, I'm not a big wheat fan so I don't know if it is for all styles, but don't wheat people prefer the yeast in their beers, and actually swirl it up in the bottle before pouring it it in a glass? And aren't Hefes intentionally cloudy, like you said because of low flocculating yeast?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

A secondary would probably help a bit. You will still get a little sediment more than likely, but you can minimize it. You could also let it sit a little longer before bottling. I bought a Belgain Wit the other day and there was sediment in the bottom of those. Heck, I picked up a 6 of that Bud Light Wheat and it tells you on the bottle to roll them to mix in the sediment. If those guys are getting some in their beer, its safe to say you will too.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
kryolla, I'm not a big wheat fan so I don't know if it is for all styles, but don't wheat people prefer the yeast in their beers, and actually swirl it up in the bottle before pouring it it in a glass? And aren't Hefes intentionally cloudy, like you said because of low flocculating yeast?
yeah I usually leave a little bit of beer left, swirl it around then pour it. The only wheat beers I've made are hefe and wits. I personally wouldn't cold crash a wheat but if the op wants less crud than thats an option or put some finings while you cold crash

Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
BrewForce
Recipes 

Wheat beer is delicious. That's my very first batch and what I just bottled today. It's fairly cloudy, and I don't expect nor care if it clears at all. I like the crud, but that's just me.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Next time make a Kristalweizen, instead of a straight up wheat. You'll need to use a different yeast that flocs out, or you could even use gelatin & whirlfloc to help with the clearing. But as stated earlier American Wheat's and Hefeweizen's are meant to be cloudy, don't fear the unclear!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply