The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sediment after Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
buttcord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No because my beer is still pretty clear. I think what is happening is that the "swirling" is actually breaking up the sediment into smaller, harmless pieces.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

The trub at the bottom Isn't from the priming sugar that's dissolved into water,mixed woth the fermented beer,& consumed by the yeast in the bottle. It's the yeast that settles out to the bottom of the bottle.
Having said that,I let my beer stay in primary till FG is reached. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Only a dusting of trub at that point.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttcord View Post
No because my beer is still pretty clear. I think what is happening is that the "swirling" is actually breaking up the sediment into smaller, harmless pieces.
Swirling is not breaking anything you are just mixing setteled sediment. If this is a heffe i will understand. If you like yeast flavours ok whatever rocks your boat. But myself I don´t find the sediment of a flocculating american yeast in an IPA for instance to be apealling. Next time instead of doing that try this: pour your beer nicely leaving the sediment behind, in a shot glass pour the sediment, give it a smell, nasty rigth? if you want to you can put that back in your beer if not well you´ve learn something

Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think you misread my post. I said it is actually being broken up to different forms.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I also make sure to refrigerate my bottles for a few weeks after they prime at room temp for 2-3 weeks. I know its a long time to wait, but the sediment tends to gets a lot more compacted the longer it stays in the fridge. If I pour gently, the gunk just sticks to the bottom of the bottle. I'm not sure if the three months have been at room temp, if not, stick them in the fridge and leave them there if you can.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
I think you misread my post. I said it is actually being broken up to different forms.
Break up in smaller sediments or not. I understand there is some people that like yeast taste and have problems with constipation and well yeast helps but I don´t think the advice it´s correct.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
When solid particles settle out of a suspension all shaking the container does is put the particles back into suspension. In this case the particles are yeast. If you like yeast floating around in your beer (some do) then you're good to go.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts

Oblivious beat me to the punch!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you cold crash your beer for around 24-48 hours before bottling day, you will notice a lot less yeast in the bottom of your bottle. Also as kblankenship11 said basically the longer you leave your carbed beer in the fridge undisturbed, the tighter and firmer the yeast get in the bottom of the bottle.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitoscar View Post
If you cold crash your beer for around 24-48 hours before bottling day, you will notice a lot less yeast in the bottom of your bottle. Also as kblankenship11 said basically the longer you leave your carbed beer in the fridge undisturbed, the tighter and firmer the yeast get in the bottom of the bottle.
This, also if you have chill haze problems a week in the fridge will help you with that.

Quick Reply