Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary transfer questions & pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
flyfishnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default secondary transfer questions & pics

so, this weekend i transferred my beer my secondary. all seemed to go well, as it was pretty easy. i do have a question relating to this process. i logged the process and some pics to my blog:
BrewingExperiment.com

my question, well i have a few...
1. the beer didn't have as strong of hop profile as i was hoping (when i sampled it), not sure if i should dry hop it? it is my first batch, so i could just wait and see how the final product is...
2. also, this is supposed to be 'close' to sierra nevada's anniversary ale but it tasted quite a bit stronger than that brew, is this normal?
3. what is the, or is there, an ideal time to let the primary sit in it's racked position before siphoning out the beer?

some specifics:
added to fermenter last saturday (2/28)
moved to secondary a week later 3/7
extract kit - american ipa (close to sierra nevada's anniversary ale)

eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What you taste now and what you taste after it's been in the bottles for a month will be two totally different things. If it were me, I'd leave it alone and see how it turns out. If you want to make changes then, make your changes next time you brew this recipe.

It's not going to taste the way it's supposed to now, that's for sure.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i always had trouble with hop flavor when using extract. dry hopping will help that. However, chshrcat is right. tasting your beer now should just be for fun and to learn what it is like at different stages of fermentation. 1 week is usually good for the primary, but it depends on the style and original gravity of the wort.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did you measure 1.021 before or after your transfered? 1.021 isn't low enough for me to transfer yet. I usually check it over several days to see if it is done. I persoanlly do not secondary, but alot of people do.

Let it sit and see how it turns out. Make changes to your next batch and so on. Ever evolving hobby.

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

having just looked at your pics, i have a few comments. the shot of the primary bucket shows that the foam on top (krausen) has not dropped yet. i usually wait for the krausen to sink to the bottome before racking to secondary. as the krausen drops, the yeast basically clean up after themselves, which will eliminate some unwanted flavors. a glass primary is helpful for this.

secondly, it looks like your secondary is a little low in volume. if you did it right, the level of the beer should come about 2-4 inches from the top of the carboy.

that being said, looks like you have a pretty good handle on the process for you first time. i'm sure your beer will be great. it is actually pretty hard to mess up.

happy brewing!

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
flyfishnc
Recipes 

thanks for all the input! my initial volume was about a half gallon shy of five gallons. when i took the initial gravity reading, it was pretty close (to the 'suggested' OG) so i didn't add the additional water. this may have been a bad thing, not sure??? i figured that it may be a little stronger in the end, but i'm not sure at this...

the terminal gravity is supposed to be 1.012 - 1.019, i'll be sure measure it till i get a consistent reading for a few days before bottling.

i didn't open the top of the bucket during the first week of fermentation, so i couldn't see the krausen. i guess that's why a glass fermenter is better. now, there is very little foam, krausen on the top of the beer (which i can see in the carboy) and there's a nice yeast cake at the bottom.

after reading everything on this site, i decided to do the 1-2-3 week bit.

eric

Old 03-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blue Line Ale????? Damn, I knew I shoulda got one of them copyright thingies....

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
Blue Line Ale????? Damn, I knew I shoulda got one of them copyright thingies....
You guys should totally sword-fight with nightsticks to settle it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
obezyana1
Recipes 

Quote:
I second the sword-fight suggestion. At least that is just the name of the beer and not his "Brewery" name.

Primary:Nothing until I get back from Moscow...
Secondary: See primary...
Bottle: Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Blackberry Cider
Drinking: Whatever I can find in Russia.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
flyfishnc
Recipes 

Quote:
heh, sorry about that.
i named it for fly fishing reasons. i figured it was a good fit; blue line streams are the first in the linear flow of rivers since they don't have anything feeding them. this was my first beer and i didn't have any experience. plus i like to fish blue line streams

on guard

Quick Reply