Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Time For Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Secondary Time For Barleywine

I'm considering trying a barleywine very soon. I figured I'd give it 3-4 weeks primary, but how long long to secondary? Then I'll do my best to wait 'til next Xmas to open one.

Here's my 4.3 gal recipe:

8 lbs Briess pilsen LME
2 lbs Briess Bavarian wheat DME
3/4 lb crystal 40
3/4 lb crystal 80
1 lb Briess extra light DME (8 oz is starter)
1 oz Columbus (15.2%) @ 60 mins
1/2 Columbus + 1 oz Cascade (6.2%) @ 20/5 mins
WLP 001

1.098/1.023
14* SRM
66 IBU's
10% ABV

Any changes?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

As long as it takes, or alternatively as long as you are willing to wait.

I'm not following the reason for the extra light DME but you didn't explain what flavor you are looking for in the beer. That would help us look at the recipe from the standpoint of what you want in the final product versus what we would prefer to drink.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

The extra light DME is both for my starter, as well as to bring the ABV to 10%.

I've only tried 2 barleywines, a local one by Blue Star and the Sierra Nevada Big Foot. I liked the local one much better. I'm not really certain what I'm after...

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm planning the same thing. I'm just going to bottle it and skip the secondary.

The first big beer I did, I did the whole 5 month secondary, add more yeast at bottling, etc. Next time, I bottled after 4/5 weeks in the primary and let the bottles sit for a year. Both turned out great. The second one was much simpler, though.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
rodwha
Recipes 

Cool.
Thought there was a need to secondary.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Cool.
My cousin made a great barleywine. I believe he feremented (not sure how long probably a month?) then he aged them 6 months in growlers. He has not had a problem with them busting, and his was pretty carbonated.

I have not made one, but I think I might have to make one soon and make it as close to 15% as possible and age it a good year before I try it. That will be hard!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Cool.
Depends on your philosophy. I think of a secondary as a place to bulk age big beers like that. So all the flavors mesh together as opposed to individually in bottles. So I do bulk age big beers like that. In fact my 17% barelyine for my 50th birthday has spent the majority of it's 3 years since i brewed it in a tertiary because I did a true secondary fermentation in secondary and added more fermentables and yeast there, so I then racked it into a third vessel, where it sat for over a year, before I racked it into my oak barrel 6 months ago, and will bottle it sometime between now and New Years, and it will sit til August of 2015.

It really is up to you. Me, I would rack it to secondart after a month or so in primary, and leave it for a minimum six months. Then I would add fresh yeast at bottling and let it sit til Christmas.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Depends on your philosophy. I think of a secondary as a place to bulk age big beers like that. So all the flavors mesh together as opposed to individually in bottles. So I do bulk age big beers like that. In fact my 17% barelyine for my 50th birthday has spent the majority of it's 3 years since i brewed it in a tertiary because I did a true secondary fermentation in secondary and added more fermentables and yeast there, so I then racked it into a third vessel, where it sat for over a year, before I racked it into my oak barrel 6 months ago, and will bottle it sometime between now and New Years, and it will sit til August of 2015.

It really is up to you. Me, I would rack it to secondart after a month or so in primary, and leave it for a minimum six months. Then I would add fresh yeast at bottling and let it sit til Christmas.
Everytime I hear about this beer... I salivate! lol
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
Everytime I hear about this beer... I salivate! lol
Didja see that I sampled some on Nov. 10th?

Dayum.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
rodwha
Recipes 

If a long secondary is quite helpful then I'm all in! I have too many buckets anyway!

Quick Reply