Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary = new vessel always?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
timbudtwo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Secondary = new vessel always?

I am following this recipe: POB's Lager

Normally I leave my batch in one bucket the entire time, but as this is my first lager, I want to be certain I am not misunderstanding anything. IWhen the directions call for a secondary ferment (misnomer, I know) which is the "lagering," does it need to be on top of the yeast cake, or does it need to be moved to basically the bottling bucket and then spend the remainder of its time in there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Neither. Lagering should be done off the yeast cake (usually in a keg or carboy). Buckets for doing a secondary are not a good idea because of their oxygen permeability, which accelerates staling.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
aggiejay06
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's a lot of headspace in the buckets, which makes them a lot less than ideal for a secondary fermentation. Carboy is a good choice, but since you're batch size is 6 gallons, 5-gallon carboy's too small (which is what I use on the rare occasion I secondary). Guess you could use 6.5 at the expense of a little more headspace.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I agree. If a secondary is done, it should NOT be done in a bucket. Not a big deal for short term storage if you absolutely have to, but for a lager it's not a good idea at all to use a bucket for secondary.

You want to rack the lager off of the yeast, as it will be lagering for 8 weeks or so. But a bucket has wide headspace and is not good at all for a lagering vessel. A carboy, 6 gallon size, has very little headspace and will do well for a lagering vessel. It's even better if it can be flushed with c02 before filling with beer as to help prevent possible oxidation. Often, if you make a 6 gallon sized batch, you end up with 5.5 gallons which still should fit in a 5 gallon carboy up to the top.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
timbudtwo
Recipes 

Well then can I just bottle it and store the bottles in the fridge for the lagering time? I was under the assumption that a bucket would be okay -_-.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
RitsiGators
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What you can do is rack (siphon/somehow put the beer) the beer into the bottling bucket for long enough to clean your primary really quickly, then rack the beer back into your newly cleaned carboy which has now just become a secondary

Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Daniel82
Recipes 

I just racked 5 gal of lager to a 6 gal carboy. There is a decent amount of head space. How much of a problem is this?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
timbudtwo
Recipes 

I don't have a carboy. I only have buckets

Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #9
RitsiGators
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you can secondary in a bucket, im not entirely sure as i have never used a bucket, but I can't think of any reason you shouldn't use them to secondary.

Follow the same procedure, move beer to a sanitary place you can keep it for a couple minutes, clean your primary, put beer back into your "primary" which is now your secondary, seal, and follow the recipes instructions.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitsiGators View Post
I think you can secondary in a bucket, im not entirely sure as i have never used a bucket, but I can't think of any reason you shouldn't use them to secondary.

Follow the same procedure, move beer to a sanitary place you can keep it for a couple minutes, clean your primary, put beer back into your "primary" which is now your secondary, seal, and follow the recipes instructions.
Well, the problem with the bucket is the wide headspace. That's why it shouldn't be done, particularly for a lager.

Quick Reply