Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is secondary needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
yeastyboys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is secondary needed?

I just brewed Sam Calagione's Blood Orange Hefeweizen and I am wondering if it needs a secondary. Normally I know HW's don't need secondary fermentation as they are intended to be cloudy, but this recipe calls for fruit and zest in primary so I'm wondering if that changes anything. Also I didn't strain the hops out so I still have about a .5-1" thick layer of hops at the bottom of my carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 242 Posts

Many will argue that secondary is NEVER necessary, but I will argue that it is ALWAYS your choice.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Many fruit beers are made by racking to secondary on top of the fruit. If the "secondary or not" debate has a neutral point, this is as close as it gets. If you do some research on fruit beers, racking to secondary is the normal procedure.

The reasoning is that the vigorous phase of primary fermentation removes much of that fruit flavor that otherwise would be available if added in secondary. Maybe the recipe already has that taken into account since it says to add it to primary.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
yeastyboys
Recipes 

I do realize that I am not going to get as much in your face orange flavor, but hey that's what the recipe said. And I added .75 lb of orange blossom honey. But otherwise I followed it 100%

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 118

If you add fruit to primary, I'd wait until active ferm has subsided. You certainly can go either way. I hate cleaning, so avoid secondary.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply