Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary fermention or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
duffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default secondary fermention or not?

I currently am fermenting a sierra nevada pale ale clone and it has been in my 5 gallon carboy now for a week. I am pretty sure its is done fermenting. My question is should I buy a secondary fermenter or just transfer my beer from the carboy into the bottling bucket and wait another week and transfer it strait to the bottle? If you could give me your input that would be great. Duffman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Use your bottling bucket. My original starter kit had a primary & a bottling bucket. If you see a huge amount of trub in the bottling bucket in a week, make another transfer before bottling. You probably won't.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-27-2005, 01:19 AM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

You could also transfer it to the bottling bucket, clean/sanitize the carboy, and then transfer it back to the carboy. You're going to need the bottling bucket for bottling anyways. Just be extra careful with sanitation and to not oxygenate the beer in any way.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
duffman
Recipes 

Thanks David, my first batch was really murky and I really wanted to make sure this batch was perfect. In my first batch I only used a bucket as my primary fermentor, so I decided to buy a carboy to purify my beer and make it more clear this time. I hope it works! Cheers -Duffman

Old 11-27-2005, 02:40 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless you are making a hefe weizen I would always recommend a secondary.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This looks like a good thread to ask a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. It ties in with duffman's too.

Since a secondary is not really for secondary fermentation purposes, it's just a way to condition and get the beer off the trub, what protects the beer from all the oxygen in the secondary?

I understand that you want a secondary container that is only slightly larger than the amount of beer you are making, Still, there is going to be oxygen of varying amounts in the secondary depending on the size of it.

If there is such a thing as food grade dry ice (CO2), it would seem smart to toss a small chunk into the secondary before putting the air lock in place.

What say ye?

Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
This looks like a good thread to ask a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. It ties in with duffman's too.

Since a secondary is not really for secondary fermentation purposes, it's just a way to condition and get the beer off the trub, what protects the beer from all the oxygen in the secondary?

I understand that you want a secondary container that is only slightly larger than the amount of beer you are making, Still, there is going to be oxygen of varying amounts in the secondary depending on the size of it.

If there is such a thing as food grade dry ice (CO2), it would seem smart to toss a small chunk into the secondary before putting the air lock in place.

What say ye?
I wouldn't bother with any dry ice or any gimmicks, personally.

Once you rack over, the yeast will still continue to produce CO2, albeit at a much smaller rate. Being that CO2 is heavier than oxygen, it will force the O2 out of the carboy quick enough to not let anything harm the beer.
Besides, at that point, the alc. content is high enough that it scares (or kills) any nasties off.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 11-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
TSac
Recipes 

Default Secondary

I've always used a secondary carboy to condition and reduce sediment in the bottles. It only cost $20 from my local brew store, definitely worth it.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
duffman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
You could also transfer it to the bottling bucket, clean/sanitize the carboy, and then transfer it back to the carboy. You're going to need the bottling bucket for bottling anyways. Just be extra careful with sanitation and to not oxygenate the beer in any way.

Would I be oxygenating my beer by tranfering it to a bottling bucket? I plan on putting the lid on it right after it is transfered but will that expose it to to much oxygen?

Also do you think that I need to put it into a secondary fermentor or is the bucket okay. I am supposed to add some finishing hops to the brew and would think that it would be bad to leave the hops in the bucket when I go to bottle the beer. Should I buy a secondary fermentor and then transfer it to the bucket? Thanks for your input -Duffman

Old 11-27-2005, 10:31 PM   #10
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman
Would I be oxygenating my beer by tranfering it to a bottling bucket? I plan on putting the lid on it right after it is transfered but will that expose it to to much oxygen?

Also do you think that I need to put it into a secondary fermentor or is the bucket okay. I am supposed to add some finishing hops to the brew and would think that it would be bad to leave the hops in the bucket when I go to bottle the beer. Should I buy a secondary fermentor and then transfer it to the bucket? Thanks for your input -Duffman

IMHO I would just go out and buy a secondary carboy, especially if you are going to hop the secondary. It will be a good investment and your beers will definately improve as mine did.

Quick Reply