Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermenting in the carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
popscube
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermenting in the carboy

I realized, I didn't top of my carboy after I put the IPA in it and there is more than two inches from the top of the carboy to the beer. It has been sitting there for about three days. Is this a cause for concern? Should I open my carboy, and it top it off, or just let it sit until the end of the two weeks? Also, is it ok that there are no bubbles in the airlock?

popscube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

It's fine. Normally when you rack over some C02 is going to come out of suspension and form a blanket over your beer. I've never topped up a beer except after boiling (since I'm doing concentrated boils) and then only to reach the intended OG.

In fact, I'd think that fresh water into the secondary would probably introduce more O2.

Moon

Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Call it a clearing tank. Very few beers undergo secondary fermentation and no bubbles is quite the norm. In fact, if you do get fermentation in the clearing tank, you probably racked too early.

Also, unlike wine, never top off brews except at the beginning of the fermentation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply