Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
mtrogers14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermenting

I know that doing a secondary ferment is not usually necessary. However are there certain types of beer (not talking about adding fruit etc) that should be moved to a secondary fermenter ? I just brewed an extract kit from northern called moose slobber. It seems to be a heavier beer, do I need to move something like that to a secondary to assist clearing it up ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrogers14
I know that doing a secondary ferment is not usually necessary. However are there certain types of beer (not talking about adding fruit etc) that should be moved to a secondary fermenter ? I just brewed an extract kit from northern called moose slobber. It seems to be a heavier beer, do I need to move something like that to a secondary to assist clearing it up ?
No
There are some styles or times you may want to bulk condition a beer for more than a month in which case moving to a secondary is beneficial but you could leave your Moose Slobber in the primary for 3-4 weeks and it will clear nicely without need of secondary

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
mattymc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

I know this is an old post but does someone know what he meant by "bulk condition"? Does it mean longer than 4 weeks? I am really interested in the practical scenarios where a carboy is needed.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
csmurdock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bulk conditioning meaning the whole batch in the same vessel and in this case yeah he is talking about over a month

Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

It's usually done with high gravity/high ABV beers that need some time to condition.

Quick Reply