Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermenter - Not Air Tight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
aomagman78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Secondary Fermenter - Not Air Tight

I am brewing my second batch and I am using a Lowe's 5-gallon bucket as the secondary fermenter. I thought it was air tight because any pushing on the top cause air bubbles to come out the blowoff tube and I didn't hear any hissing. The primary fermenter was bubbling once every 10 seconds before we transferred to secondary. The secondary has always been more like once a minute. 4 days later - - I just shook it up a bit (thought it might help mix up the sugars and yeast) and I noticed beer coming out the lid. Now I'm worried it's not air tight.

So - should I transfer the solution back to the Better Bottle and let it finish there? Or will this add too much oxygen (another 1.5 gallons at top of bottle).

Or should I bottle early (recipe called for 2-4wks in secondary) to avoid all that extra oxygen?

Thoughts? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
aomagman78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In addition - I just plugged the blowoff tube and put a lot of pressure on the lid of the bucket - no hissing or anything and when I let off the tube all the air shot out. So I'm very confused. I'm thinking the bucket might have deformed a bit when I picked it up by handle and this caused the leak. So it should be fine as long as I don't pick it up anymore.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
ongreystreet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Lowes bucket, $3, industrial grade, good for dirt, paint, trash, nuts and bolts, waste.

Homebrew bucket, $10, food grade, good for cooking, cleaning, brewing.

I wouldn't put my beer in anything that isn't considered food grade.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
aomagman78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Probably true - won't use them again. But as an avid home-improver, they were easily accessible.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomagman78 View Post
In addition - I just plugged the blowoff tube and put a lot of pressure on the lid of the bucket - no hissing or anything and when I let off the tube all the air shot out. So I'm very confused. I'm thinking the bucket might have deformed a bit when I picked it up by handle and this caused the leak. So it should be fine as long as I don't pick it up anymore.
Like the man said, It's not food grade, but you can seal it with a couple wraps of siran wrap or any kind of plastic wrap. Just take a roll and pull it tight and give it a couple wraps. I'v done it with my high quality buckets before.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I am brewing my second batch and I am using a Lowe's 5-gallon bucket as the secondary fermenter. I thought it was air tight because any pushing on the top cause air bubbles to come out the blowoff tube and I didn't hear any hissing. The primary fermenter was bubbling once every 10 seconds before we transferred to secondary. The secondary has always been more like once a minute. 4 days later - - I just shook it up a bit (thought it might help mix up the sugars and yeast) and I noticed beer coming out the lid. Now I'm worried it's not air tight.

So - should I transfer the solution back to the Better Bottle and let it finish there? Or will this add too much oxygen (another 1.5 gallons at top of bottle).

Or should I bottle early (recipe called for 2-4wks in secondary) to avoid all that extra oxygen?

Thoughts? Thanks.

Couple problems I see...

You shouldn't transfer to your secondary until your primary fermentation is done, so you shouldn't see much airlock activity; did you take a gravity reading to make sure it was done?

You should never shake your beer other than aerating prior to pitching, as this can lead to oxidation problems.

Also, what the previous posters said about only using food grade buckets is right on.
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: HopFingers, Rye IPA, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Pumpkin Rye Saison, Pliny the Zombie, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I just shook it up a bit (thought it might help mix up the sugars and yeast) and I noticed beer coming out the lid.
kinda defeats the purpose of a secondary when you do that.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
JWest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why do you have a blowoff tube on your secondary?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
Daver77
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Also the buckets your supposed to use for fermenting have rubber gaskets on the lid to keep it air tight.

Quick Reply