Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermenter-How and When?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk View Post
Bingo... Been at this a few years and have over a 100 brews under my belt... still learning more every day...

FWIW... fermenting in buckets with spigots makes life a lot simpler when it comes to transfers, sampling, etc.... and I rarely use a secondary.

I had thought about fermenting with the spigot bucket, but what about the yeast cake ?? It's why I use an autosiphon to just rack to the bottling bucket.......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranger99 View Post
I had thought about fermenting with the spigot bucket, but what about the yeast cake ?? It's why I use an autosiphon to just rack to the bottling bucket.......
I use inverted tube backnuts... http://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT-TUBE-BACKNUT-P179C104.aspx ... on all of my buckets. For bottling I turn the tube straight down near the bottom of the bucket. For fermenting I turn it to the side. For really big beers I have buckets where the spigot and tube are located a little higher. I also cant the bucket a few degrees away from the spigot so trub and yeast settle away from the tube.... They are easy enough to make DIY... I haven't siphoned since after my first extract kit years ago...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranger99 View Post
What about the yeast cakes? Concerned about sucking them in with the bottling bucket? Even at standard height, with no adaptation, my spigot does just fine.

But I can see where there would be concerns.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #14
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Norsk knows what he's talking about. I would just add that you can get a cheap elbow (instead of the the inverted tube nut) at the hardware store. This thread has pictures
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/seriously-easiest-diy-ever-bottling-bucket-dip-tube-356581/index3.html

Quick Reply