New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Jdb2012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Awesome! Thanks. It is good to know that I can leave a batch sitting in a primary for a months or 2 with out fear of off flavors!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I did my first brew (an IPA) and moved it into a carboy for secondary per the recipe. I then had to dry hop which was a mess getting the hops into the carboy. And then when I went to rack it from the carboy to my bottling bucket, it was a pain in the arse trying to keep the auto siphon from clogging up.

To make a long story short, I've read enough to make me feel comfortable in just leaving my beer go in the primary and I will be leaving my beers in the primary bucket for the most part, especially if there is dry hopping involved and limiting the use of my carboy as a secondary for beers that don't involve dry hopping.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
sjanz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonave

Nice post, thanks
This is good info. When dry hopping in secondary, would a 6 gallon carboy be ok or would you move down to a 5 gallon?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjanz

This is good info. When dry hopping in secondary, would a 6 gallon carboy be ok or would you move down to a 5 gallon?
Essentially you want as little head space as possible to avoid oxidation so if everything including the hops fits in the 5 use that

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
Jdb2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If one were to use a 6.5 gallon carboy, do you think that adding some sugar to create a small secondary fermentation would expel the excess O2?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdb2012 View Post
I have used a secondary because I have been told that I could get some off flavor from yeast if I leave the beer on the yeast cake for awhile. Also I was told that the final produce will be clearer.
I am interested in your reasons, if you don't mind sharing.
The autolysis thing is much over exagerated. A wonderful classic white Burgundy yeast is Lallemand CY3079. This yeast is actually designed to autolys early in order to produce a nice round mouthfeel during sur lies aging (aging on the lees). While a buttery Chardonnay might be nice (diacetyl) we usually don't want that in beer but some autolysis benefits mouthfeel and I doubt you would ever leave your beer on the lees long enough for it to become detrimental.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
If one were to use a 6.5 gallon carboy, do you think that adding some sugar to create a small secondary fermentation would expel the excess O2?
Yes, probably. Except remember that the point of a clearing vessel is to allow the beer some time to age and clear. By adding more fermentables, and restarting fermentation, the whole point of racking to a clearing vessel is totally useless. If the point is to allow the beer to finish clearing, then why add fermentables, and start fermentation again? Then you'd have to rack to a third clearing vessel, if indeed you were planning on a clearing vessel at all.

I'd either get a 5 gallon carboy, or forget the whole idea of racking to a clearing vessel.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks. It is good to know that I can leave a batch sitting in a primary for a months or 2 with out fear of off flavors!
This is true, no off flavors, but do keep in mind that sitting on the yeast for a longer time does influence the flavor. Many people like these flavors. Others prefer the results of beer moved off of the yeast for aging. Figure out which you like and do that.
Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure how many you would need, but I've also heard of decreasing the headspace by boiling marbles to sanitize and adding to secondary. Some use the marbles to hold fruit down so they don't need to poke it down every few days.
It all sounds like alot of work to me either way. I'm lazy. I left a big Belgian on the yeast for 5 weeks with 3 days of cold crash in a 65 deg basement and it was clear as day. Weird fruity like a Belgian should be.

Quick Reply