Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermentation Temp Changes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
ChairMissing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation Temp Changes

Probably a dumb question, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for in the archives, so here it goes:

I brewed an IPA the other week and had it fermenting at about 68 pretty steadily for two weeks. Then racked it to the secondary and am currently dry hopping it. However, I live in an apartment in Brooklyn and have no control over the temp in my apt. The past week hit a huge cold spell in NYC and the thermometer on my my fermentor has hit as low as 55 and stayed that temp pretty steady.

My question is how bad is this for the beer? Does the yeast just become inactive and I have to wait for the temps to come back up? Should I let it sit an extra week (temps are supposed to warm up this week). Or should I just bottle it and see what happens?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If its in secondary and you waited to rack it from primary when it was at FG then there is no fermentation occurring any longer and the temperature for dry hopping is really not an issue

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
ChairMissing
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks! Yes, I measure the gravity for three days and it was consistent before I racked to secondary. So hopefully everything should turn out OK.

Quick Reply