Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermentation Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
bschindl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation Questions

I have been looking at a couple of recipes for my next batch and I noticed that some of them require a secondary. One recipe is a pumpkin ale that calls for adding spices to the secondary. The other is a Magic Hat #9 clone that calls for adding apricot to the secondary. Normally I leave my beers in the primary for 4 weeks before bottling.

Since I only have one better bottle my question is how necessary is it to have a second vessel for a secondary. I know that transferring to a secondary will help clear up the beer, however is there any other benefit to using a seperate vessel. I could transfer to the bottling bucket and then back to a clean BB if necessary.

Has anyone tried adding secondary additives to the primary vessel during the last week before bottling? Will this change anything other than the clarity of the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've added things to the primary, but I ended up with a very cloudy beer. It was probably do to having so much sludge at the bottom of my fermenter that I ended up stirring things into the beer while racking.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply