Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermentation question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Phan71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermentation question.

I have yet to make a batch using secondary fermentation (I'm on my third batch now), but I am thinking of doing it with my current batch. I have a couple of questions:

1. When should I transfer to the secondary fermenter? I brewed on Friday, so it's been four days, and there's no longer any bubbles coming out of the airlock.

2. How long should it stay in the secondary?

3. Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Using a clearing tank (AKA bright tank AKA secondary) is just a way of getting the ale off of the trub & making it easier to transfer to a bottling bucket later. (Commercial brewers frequently use conical fermenters and just take the trub out of the bottom) Two weeks is about right. If you use a carboy, then go by when the ale has cleared.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've always used the 1-1-2 rule so far and like you, I've only done 3 batches. From what I've read, if you have no bubbling activity, then it's done fermenting, go ahead and rack it. There is a lot of reading out there on getting the brew off the trub ASAP, then there are those that say let it sit. The one thing that you have to be weary of is autolysis. That's when the yeast go cannibalistic on themselves. That will produce some funky taste. For that reason, I rack to secondary after one week. A key sign of autolysis is that the bottom layer will turn a orange-red color.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Mr Bigins
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phan71
I have yet to make a batch using secondary fermentation (I'm on my third batch now), but I am thinking of doing it with my current batch. I have a couple of questions:

1. When should I transfer to the secondary fermenter? I brewed on Friday, so it's been four days, and there's no longer any bubbles coming out of the airlock.
It sounds to me like you could do it tomorrow night or Thursday.

Quote:
2. How long should it stay in the secondary?
At least 1 week.

Quote:
3. Anything else I should know?

Secondary
1. Nada
2. Nada

Keg Conditioning
1. Nada
2. Nada

On Tap
1. Whoopass Stout(my recipe)
2. Octane IPA

On Deck
1. Nada
2. Nada

Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Phan71
Recipes 

Thanks for the input, everyone. I went out and bought the carboy today, and will probably rack tomorrow night.

Thanks again!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
Beerhead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
There is a lot of reading out there on getting the brew off the trub ASAP, then there are those that say let it sit. The one thing that you have to be weary of is autolysis. That's when the yeast go cannibalistic on themselves. That will produce some funky taste. For that reason, I rack to secondary after one week. A key sign of autolysis is that the bottom layer will turn a orange-red color.
How long does it take for that to happen? About a month or so right? or do i just have not idea?

"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

There's actually a very informative article in this month's BYO regarding this subject...check it out if you have a newstand that carries BYO.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
Sixpack
Recipes 

Good timing on this post. I just racked to secondary tonight. I plan on leaving it for at least a week before kegging it. Its my first batch and I am hopeful that I did everything correct. So I have at least a week to get my kegorator set up.

Quick Reply