Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermentation Need Hydrometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
happypanties
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 34

Default Secondary Fermentation Need Hydrometer?

I have an American ale which I racked to a secondary on top of 4 lbs of cranberries. It was in primary for 2 weeks, and this weekend will be 2 weeks in secondary.

Do I need to take hydrometer readings for a few days to make sure it stays constant? Or am I ok to go ahead and bottle this weekend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

I'd say by now you're done. You can go ahead and bottle. Taking an FG is always a good idea though, if nothing else so that you can keep an eye on your attenuation and ABV.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You should always take a hydrometer reading before you bottle. There's always a possibility your beer has stalled out higher than you think and needs some extra care before bottling to make sure you don't overcarb.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply