Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary fermentation in IPA necessary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
scott422
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default secondary fermentation in IPA necessary

Hello.. will be making my first batch of IPA next. I am brand new to brewing and only bought a basic kit, that did not contain a secondary. How long should I leave my IPA in primary before botteling to get best end results? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I like to leave my beers about 3 weeks in the primary. Does your recipe ask for some dryhopping? You can dry hop in primary, after the fermentation is over, for a week at the end before bottling. But it's a bit messier if you're not using a secondary! What is the recipe you're using?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
scott422
Recipes 

thanks I am a little paranoid being new to all this, I am using an extract kit (northenbrewer)that does not call for dry hopping. I didn't know it would hurt to leave in primary longer than the two weeks called for in the kit.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott422 View Post
thanks I am a little paranoid being new to all this, I am using an extract kit (northenbrewer)that does not call for dry hopping. I didn't know it would hurt to leave in primary longer than the two weeks called for in the kit.
I like to leave ales at least three weeks in the fermenter- I noticed much "cleaner" beer as a result. If you're not dryhopping, I don't see any reason to use a secondary fermenter. "Bigger" (like IPAs, higher alcohol pale ales, bigger Belgians) beers tend to do better if allowed to stay in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks, but in "smaller" beers (like milds, hefes, etc) 2-3 weeks is usually adequate.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I tend to leave my beers in primary normally for a month, UNLESS I am doing something like dry hopping, adding oak, or adding fruit.

I did an IPA recently and the recipe required dryhopping, so I waited two weeks to make sure fermentation was complete (I checked with my hydrometer and it was) then I racked it to secondary with my dryhopping hops (1 ounce of cascade) and left in there for another two weeks before bottling.

And the beer is tasty.

Now if you wanted to you could get another ounce of hops and dry hop it on your own.

But since your recipe doesn't call for it, and if you choose not to, you can do like yoop and many of us do and let it sit in primary for 3-4 weeks, it makes for really clear, clean and crisp tasting beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-29-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
scott422
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll try 3 and see how it goes, where are you from in the UP?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott422 View Post
Thanks, I'll try 3 and see how it goes, where are you from in the UP?
In the central UP. The cold spot, I think!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
scott422
Recipes 

cold here too, I live under the bridge in Big Rapids.. anyway thanks for the help this site is great

Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
daveyo33
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just put my first ever batch (Brewer's Best IPA) in the primary fermenter and I have to head out of town next week, when the directions suggest adding it to the secondary fermenter. My question is, can I transfer to the secondary a couple days late or should i leave it in the primary in extra couple days as suggested above?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Daveyo... Those dates on the kit are meaningless. It won't hurt to leave it for 1, 2, or even 3 weeks longer than whats called for. I generally leave my beers on the yeast cake for 1 to two weeks after airlock activity stops. I know my system and am confident in my process to take one fg reading before I play with my beer, but you really should check your fg and have a stable reading after 3 or 4 days before you mess with it.

Quick Reply