The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermentation airlock blow off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
mingo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Secondary fermentation airlock blow off

Can anyone help with this? The secondary fermenter airlock had blown off and had been off for at least 24 hours when I discovered it. Do you think my beer is okay? Has anyone had an experience like this>

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Obviously, you transferred to secondary WAY too early if you're getting blowoff and clogging your airlock. Next time, wait until the ferment is finished to transfer if you're going to secondary.

As for this one... if you're putting out enough CO2 to blow your airlock off, your beer is most likely safe from oxidation. There's a SLIGHT chance something might have drifted in there on a dust mote to infect it or something, but I wouldn't sweat it.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There is a layer of co2 protecting you beer, so more than likely everything is fine. That same co2 that evidently knocked off the airlock, is also keeping most airborn matter from getting in.

Since your beer is in secondary it should be all alcohol at this point, so nothig really should harm it anyway.

I give your beer a 99.5% survival rate.

Take a look at the stories in this thread and you will see how hardy your beer actually is.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply