Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
PanzerOfDoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermentation

Should I be seeing any activity in the airlock? Taget gravity was reached in primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not really. Secondary fermentation is pretty much a misnomer. It is more for settling and melding of flavors then it is fermenting.

loop

Old 02-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The secondary should not be underestimated, just because nothing is apparent. It makes a hell of a difference in your final brew. Things are happening beneath the airlock--you just can't see it.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
djmd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelone
The secondary should not be underestimated, just because nothing is apparent. It makes a hell of a difference in your final brew. Things are happening beneath the airlock--you just can't see it.
Absolutely true. I did about 7 or 8 batches before I used a secondary and it was probably the biggest improvement I ever made to my extract brews.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Interesting. My extract kit doesn't call for a secondary fermentation (true brew red ale). I brewed friday night and by sunday night I was getting few bubbles through the airlock. Should I move this to a second carboy for the remainder of the week or does that not get me anything?

Old 02-14-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
Interesting. My extract kit doesn't call for a secondary fermentation (true brew red ale). I brewed friday night and by sunday night I was getting few bubbles through the airlock. Should I move this to a second carboy for the remainder of the week or does that not get me anything?
If you just started getting bubbles last night, then you for sure wouldn't want to move it to secondary yet...you don't want to do that until your fermentation is near complete.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 02-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
Chris1972
Recipes 

Default wait

Most recipes say to leave it in the primary for at least a week. You can leave it in longer if you're still seing lots of activity. At least 4 - 5 bubbles a minute. Just don't let the beer sit on the trub for more than 24 days or so. After you see all the signs of complete fermentation rack it into another carboy. You can let it sit for a couple of weeks. I'm doing a Belgian dubbel right now. It was in the primary for 12 or 13 days, now it's sitting in the secondary. I'm going out of town, so it's going to sit there until at least the 25th. Then to the bottles where it will sit for about a month before I sample it. Some people have told me that it should bottle condition for up to 4 months.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 AM   #8
djmd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista
yeah, most instructions for beginners don't make any mention of the benefits of secondary conditioning/fermentation. Or some of the pass the "Bottling" as secondary. But the beer really will age better as a "whole"... it's such a simple way to make such a marked improvement in your beer.

Quick Reply