Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
redbud1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermentation

Sorry for the noob question.

When I read beer recipe directions it says leave your beer fermenting for around a week or so in first primary fermentor. Then, when fermentation is done, the air lock stops bubbling, change to a secondary fermentor and continue for as long as needed.

You don't add any more yeast to the secondary fermentor correct? Can I get my beer to a higher abv using a second fermentor? Is it simply for straining the beer of sediment?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Often, those recipe instructions say the same thing for every style even though it may be unnecessary for most. I've seen some that are just plain wrong and/or outdated.

What sort of beer are you brewing? Unless you're adding something (like fruit), are dry-hopping or have some other specific reason, skip the secondary. You won't gain any ABV or any other benefit. You can increase the risk of oxidation by transferring the beer and by having headspace without enough CO2 to push the air out.

Let it go 3 weeks in the primary and then rack straight to the bottling bucket.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 168

No need for any additional yeast. It is more accurately described as a bright tank. It is for letting sediment settle only. This will also have no effect whatsoever on the ABV of the beer. That is done through recipe and yeast selection.

Wait 2-3 weeks in primary then check for final gravity then bottle the beer. In most cases, if you are not adding things like fruit, a secondary is not necessary.

Quick Reply