Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
kaniatron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Secondary Fermentation

I had recently placed my honey weizen into secondary fermentation inside a carboy. The wort was placed on top of two pounds of apricots along with a few ounces of honey. I had noticed that a new krausen had formed. I suppose long short here is, will all the yeast end up being used? Will I have to add more yeast when bottling to achieve carbonation? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Gravity readings were BG 1.055 FG 1.010<--- when I moved to secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

No, this will not cause the yeast to be "used" up. Yeast are alive, and will continue to eat sugar as long as they are healthy, and there is sugar available for them to eat. Since you racked onto fruit and honey, you have added sugar to the beer. This has just caused the yeast to "wake up" and start a small second fermentaton of the sugars from the fruit and the honey. Unless your beer is extremely high gravity (more than 10%), then you will still have plenty of yeast left alive to produce carbonation. Let it sit in secondary for at least one week to allow the yeast to eat all the added fruit/honey sugar, then bottle as usual. You will have no problems at all.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

kaniatron Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
kaniatron
Recipes 

Here is a photo of the brew...

photo.jpg  

Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
kaniatron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
No, this will not cause the yeast to be "used" up. Yeast are alive, and will continue to eat sugar as long as they are healthy, and there is sugar available for them to eat. Since you racked onto fruit and honey, you have added sugar to the beer. This has just caused the yeast to "wake up" and start a small second fermentaton of the sugars from the fruit and the honey. Unless your beer is extremely high gravity (more than 10%), then you will still have plenty of yeast left alive to produce carbonation. Let it sit in secondary for at least one week to allow the yeast to eat all the added fruit/honey sugar, then bottle as usual. You will have no problems at all.
Thanks for the quick reply I sure do appreciate the insight. I have never gone about this method with fruit in secondary. I posted a photo of the action if your interested in taking a look.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

That definitely looks like a healthy fermentation. Just make sure to leave it alone long enough to let that fermentation finish and "clean up". I think one week in the secondary carboy will probably do the trick.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
kaniatron
Recipes 

One week it is I am kinda excited it tasted like franziskaner with the banana notes and the little hints of apricot and honey surely will be a nice compliment I hope.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Realize that by adding the apricots and honey you've bumped the gravity back up again. It isn't 1.010 anymore. It looks awesome and I wish I could have one. One more thing, a tip, the apricots will give it a real nice natural flavor, but consider adding a little apricot extract for the aroma. Fruit does wonders for flavor but is a bit lacking when it comes to aroma... just a thought. It looks great!!!

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #8
kaniatron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Realize that by adding the apricots and honey you've bumped the gravity back up again. It isn't 1.010 anymore. It looks awesome and I wish I could have one. One more thing, a tip, the apricots will give it a real nice natural flavor, but consider adding a little apricot extract for the aroma. Fruit does wonders for flavor but is a bit lacking when it comes to aroma... just a thought. It looks great!!!
I was just sitting here pondering that exact thought. I also forgot to take a gravity reading after I added the fruit. Duh I guess the excitement got to me. I wonder if there is a way to account the difference hmm

Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniatron View Post
I was just sitting here pondering that exact thought. I also forgot to take a gravity reading after I added the fruit. Duh I guess the excitement got to me. I wonder if there is a way to account the difference hmm

The honey part is easy. Assuming its a 5 gallon batch, 1 pound would be 7 gravity points. So, if you put in a 1/2 pound of honey, it went from 1.010 to 1.014, rounded up. The fruit part is trickier. I'm sure there are calculations out there but I'm sure they are only a broad guideline.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
kaniatron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel

The honey part is easy. Assuming its a 5 gallon batch, 1 pound would be 7 gravity points. So, if you put in a 1/2 pound of honey, it went from 1.010 to 1.014, rounded up. The fruit part is trickier. I'm sure there are calculations out there but I'm sure they are only a broad guideline.
I over heard that most of it will ferment out and the beer will be slightly drier is this true?

Quick Reply