Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermentation ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 68

using airlock activity as a guide for anything assumes a lot, like:

* you have a perfect seal (you don't)
* all yeast ferments at the same rate regardless of the yeast strain (um, no)
* all fermentation temperatures are the same, regardless of ambient temperature (that's just stupid)
* all barometric pressures are the same regardless of the barometric pressure (we're borderline idiocracy)
* the pressure in every fermentation chamber is the same regardless of the fermentation chamber (do you see where i'm going with this?)

all of these can affect airlock activity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Doug, I've done a Tripel recently and it took 3 weeks to get from 1.091 down to 1.014. It may be the case w/ bigger (barleywines 1.100+) but the bigger issue w/ that high of a beer is that the alcohol kills the yeast at that high a level. Ultimately the only beers that need to 'ferment' longer are lagers. You still get almost all the fermentation done and then drop them to just above freezing, maybe 36degF. and leave them there for weeks if not months longer, which slowly drops the FG down a bit more, maybe a few points, and really gets a clean beer. I've done a few lagers and had that happen. Otherwise, its rare for fermentation to not be done after 10 days or so, but its highly recommended by myself and many others here to leave it on the cake at least 3 weeks if not 4 to clear up the beer and make it less 'green'. The higher the ABV beer, the longer you can leave it to clean up. This tripel still tastes wonderful at 4 weeks and I've kegged it. Still a touch alcohol hotness, which will mellow in the keg over time.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

well I'm a rookie, I'm lazy, AND I'm poor ... so this no secondary thing is really good news to me ... great feed here ... cheers all !!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Thanks for the info pompeii!
So it sounds like even with really big beers you don't want to move them while they're still fermenting, am I reading that right?

Like I said, the biggest thing I've done is this wee heavy, and I'm leaving that in primary for a month before I bottle. I'll probably try for something bigger when I figure out how to get more than 9 lbs. of extract in to a 2 gal partial boil.

Seriously though, I think I'm going to stick with sessions for a while. Big beers are fun to try to do well, having them come off nice and balanced and not hot, but after 1 or 2 of them I'm loaded and I would like to have a few different brews on hand that I can drink all night with out getting too wrecked.

When you lager, do you move it to a secondary before lagering it? Or do people lager in their primaries too?

Thanks again for clearing that up. Hate to give out bad info, I should prorobably try harder to not chime in when I'm not certain about something. I just had a feeling if I said NEVER move a beer while it is still fermenting, someone would have a case where you should. But I really don't see why it would be necessary.

Thanks again

Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #25
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
using airlock activity as a guide for anything assumes a lot, like:

* you have a perfect seal (you don't)
* all yeast ferments at the same rate regardless of the yeast strain (um, no)
* all fermentation temperatures are the same, regardless of ambient temperature (that's just stupid)
* all barometric pressures are the same regardless of the barometric pressure (we're borderline idiocracy)
* the pressure in every fermentation chamber is the same regardless of the fermentation chamber (do you see where i'm going with this?)

all of these can affect airlock activity.
Good to know, I think you have really pounded the whole airlock bubble count thing in there!!! I promise I wont forget it. Tell me then what is your take on the whole secondary/bright tank thing???

Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #26
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Good to know, I think you have really pounded the whole airlock bubble count thing in there!!! I promise I wont forget it. Tell me then what is your take on the whole secondary/bright tank thing???
I made this a while back...

Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #27
Primo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Well thats a very nice little treasure map, thanks for sharing I think I will copy and paste that to a file till I can remember it. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #28
mfraier
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I've done it both ways......you should too. Find out what works best for you.

For me 3-4 weeks in primary works very nicely. For you, it may well be different; and that's fine. Figure out what will work for your needs.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #29
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobita View Post
That's interesting - I am just beginning, but the homebrew supply store I just got set up with said to use one bubble every 90 seconds in the airlock as a guide to know when to transfer from the primary to secondary...
Do yourself a favour and don't ask that store for advice any more

Quote:
I'm sure he is hearing the same things I am. That doing a secondary around 3/4 of the fermentation is how to do it. Looks like there is either lot of different takes on the subject. You don't think it has something to do with the difference between extracts and ag. Do you???
Wort is wort, it doesn't mater if your poured it from a can, scooped it from a bag, or extracted it from grains yourself. I think we need to started a concerted effort to permanently change 'secondary fermentor' to 'ageing tank' or some such similar term. Just the concept of measuring '3/4' of fermentation is suspect, and airlock activity, as has been drilled into your skull in this thread already, is certainly not a useful indicator of anything other than some kind of gas inside your fermenter is looking to escape. Could be due to gas production by active yeast, or it could simply be due to some combination of pressure/temperature changes. Without wanting to sound like a douchenozzle, anyone that tells you to move actively fermenting beer, be it 1/2, 3/4, or 99/100 of the way done, is giving plain bad advice and should be shunned from any contact with your brewing practices.

Quote:
Thanks Doug I really appreciate the help. I probably would of freaked out had I not seen some action in the airlock.
Best thing you can do for your beer when you first start brewing is NEVER freak out
Primo Likes This 
Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #30
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
I made this a while back...

How do you get from Secondary to keg or bottle? :P