Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
ncvega
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fermentation

I just started brew at home. Actually working on my first brew ,a blue moon clone. But I am just wondering what is secondary fermentation. Does anything need to be added or taken away from the wort? please excuse me if I am using any term incorrectly but i have not been able to find a good explaination as to the steps that are involved. Just wondering if I can get any help. I think I have a handle on every thing else. Any help would be great thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Secondary fermentation is a misnomer. Fermentation occurs in the primary vessel. When fermentation is complete, one may optionally rack the beer to a secondary vessel to condition. Getting the fermented beer off the trub and flocculated yeast in the primary vessel helps it to condition more cleanly, and makes subsequent bottling easier.

There are certain flavorings in some recipes that are added when the beer goes to secondary. Hops are the most common addition at that stage. It's called "dry hopping", although that too is a bit of a misnomer, since the hops certainly don't remain dry.

And, welcome to the forum!

Old 10-24-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
ncvega
Recipes 

Thanks that actually helps alot

Old 10-24-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 619 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 56

There is such a thing as true secondary fermentation where a different strain of yeast is added after racking the beer. It can be done in conjunction with adding new fermentables (sugar/malt) or can be a yeast strain that tolerates higher alcohol content to continue fermentation after the first strain weakens from alcohol toxicity. Generally, it adds either flavor complexity or more alcohol, and the technique is more common with wine than beer.

Mostly, homebrewers use the term loosely, and should probably refer to "secondary fermenters" as "clearing tanks" or "conditioning tanks."

Quick Reply