New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is secondary ferm needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
johnnyt471
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, I have a question about using a secondary. I'm making a barleywine, around 1.110 or so. I have had it in the primary for a little over 2 months, and I'm wondering if I should be transferring it to a secondary or whether it would be cool in the primary for another few months. I saw a thread where someone warned about how a primary is more likely to oxidize the beer, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Should I transfer to secondary for another 2-4 months? Or could I just leave it in the primary for a few more months and then bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

johnnyt471, you could rack to a secondary for aging (a good reason to rack)... I would go with either a glass carboy, or a corny keg... If you go with the corny, you could also put CO2 over the brew, to make sure you don't get oxidation. Not sure how much CO2 you would use, but probably just enough to make sure the O-rings seal (be sure to purge any O2 from the corny when adding CO2)...

Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #23
dabaki
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you've read the posts, then why do we need to answer again? This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been for 5 years. Why do we need to repeat the discussion again for you?

This is the most thorough and ongoing thread about it...All your questions are taken care of here-The hows, they why's, the whens, and what the nay sayers STILL say after all these years that we have countered or just ignored...the who schmere, the whole shebang all in one handy dandy thread......;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

At this point either read what's already here or do it and figure it out for yourself. But do you really want to further beat this horse to death?

I mean it's been beaten, resurected, beaten, zombified and beaten again, I think you can find enough info on here already....even as current as a couple hours ago in the above thread.
I think next time you post you should tell us what you really think!

Honestly, I know his feeling as I'm pretty new here, too. There's an awful lot of information to go through and it can be pretty overwhelming if you don't really know what to look for. I'm really glad everyone is so patient with those of us new to the hobby. This place is a fantastic resource and I'm happy I've found it.

Now, to bring up something you posted. How AWESOME was the walking dead?? LOVED IT

Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrewer View Post
I agree that everyone is very helpful! I am also very thankful to have found such a website. I have just started brewing and the few questions/problems I have had the responses have been great. Im sure the second fermentation question is asked alot but do I have to be scolded? The few post I had read both stated different views on secondary so I just thought I would post the question to see what people thought.
Sorry if it upset or frustated people.
You don't upset anybody!

I think it's silly to expect ANYBODY to read every post on this forum (including me) and I feel very strongly that if someone doesn't want to answer a question they can just move along instead of inflicting a "scolding". I'm embarrassed about the response you received and I apologize for it.

I'm very sorry that happened to you, and I promise you that we're actually a very friendly bunch overall!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you've read the posts, then why do we need to answer again? This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been for 5 years. Why do we need to repeat the discussion again for you?

I mean it's been beaten, resurected, beaten, zombified and beaten again, I think you can find enough info on here already....even as current as a couple hours ago in the above thread.
BECAUSE- it's a FORUM. It's interactive. People ask questions, and others answer. If they want to, that is- and they don't have to be dicks about it. You may have answered the question 30000 times. But this person asked it ONCE.

Either don't answer, or answer politely without a rant. It's not to much to ask, is it? Thank you.
People Like This 
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #26
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

When it comes down to it there are approximately eleventeen gagillion ways to brew beer. Most of them work. At least half of them are the best way. (yes, you read that right)

Homebrewing is all about experimenting with different methods and see what you like, what works best for you and what you're comfy with. It doesn't matter if it's the thing everyone else does. If you try something once or twice, don't like it, then don't do it! It's your beer and **** anyone that tries to tell you different.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
BECAUSE- it's a FORUM. It's interactive. People ask questions, and others answer. If they want to, that is- and they don't have to be dicks about it. You may have answered the question 30000 times. But this person asked it ONCE.

Either don't answer, or answer politely without a rant. It's not to much to ask, is it? Thank you.
Ditto.

Welcome to our pub. Pay no attention to the grumpy old guys at the end of the bar.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Joe Dragon Likes This 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #28
n2fooz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrewer View Post
Well I wish I had the time to dedicate to reading every post on here about secondary fermentation. Just looking for some answers and you could have pointed me in the right direction with out being a dbag about it.
I've read that thread and a few others. If you read it you'll know why Revvy is a bit touchy about this. He is a proponent of the single fermentation, has great luck with it and has gone round and round and round and round with people that say it's bad. Just think of this as his button. I'm sure you'll find that Revvy will be a great source of knowledge and won't be as touchy about other topics

Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #29
Bigjuicy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SECONDARY FERMENTATION IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY!!!! wanna fight me revvy?

in all seriousness it depends what you want to do. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. However both will make beer. So do what ever makes you most comfortable

Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #30
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I bought a 6 gallon better bottle to use as a secondary for my second brew ... it's in there as I type ... don't know yet if it was needed or not, but the beauty of homebrewing is, I had the extra money in the budget because I was able to start drinking my first brew ... no money spent at the beer store in over a week now ... yessssss!!!!!!

Quick Reply