Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is secondary ferm needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
philogeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
PVF it looks like two of them are eating the horse....maybe they're the zombies afterall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH View Post
Yeah I hadn't noticed that. Hilarious. I think the top one is supposed to be laughing after it strikes the horse, but it kind of looks like it is chewing.
"Chewing the fat" maybe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrewer View Post
Well I wish I had the time to dedicate to reading every post on here about secondary fermentation. Just looking for some answers and you could have pointed me in the right direction with out being a dbag about it.
I was just thinking the other day about how friendly HBT is in this regard. On most other boards I've seen, especially those dedicated to a narrow endeavor, the regulars are pretty surly. If you ask a question that you could answer yourself with a quick search, you will get flamed mercilessly.

Here, by contrast, there are at least dozens of regulars who answer the same questions day in and day out, even though almost every answer is right here for everyone to find. Seriously - original, useful threads are rare.

HBT could be a "good ol' boys" sort of place where seasoned brewers congratulate themselves and make fun of newbies. But it's not. It is quite welcoming and tolerant. That's why I contribute money when I could get all the info I could ever need without paying a cent.

Anyway, take that however you will, and good brewing.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I agree with PVH. This forum is one of the most civilized forums on the internet. I cannot believe just how patient and helpful some of the regular posters are about answering the same questions over and over.

I am a noob and I do spend a lot of time searching for the answers to questions I have and it seems that the same regulars are always the ones answering them. They are so helpful I cannot believe it. I have learned a ton in just the short time I have been here and I know that I have a ton more to learn.

Thanks to the regulars of HBT..

Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
BaltimoreBrewer
Recipes 

I agree that everyone is very helpful! I am also very thankful to have found such a website. I have just started brewing and the few questions/problems I have had the responses have been great. Im sure the second fermentation question is asked alot but do I have to be scolded? The few post I had read both stated different views on secondary so I just thought I would post the question to see what people thought.
Sorry if it upset or frustated people.

"if I dont die by Thursday I'll be roaring Friday night" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

One thing you'll learn about this group is they're they're pretty quick to give the benefit of the doubt, accept a new member and then harass them mercilessly. If they didn't like you, they'd ignore you. Just shovel it back at 'em and you'll do fine.

And use the search.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrewer View Post
I agree that everyone is very helpful! I am also very thankful to have found such a website. I have just started brewing and the few questions/problems I have had the responses have been great. Im sure the second fermentation question is asked alot but do I have to be scolded? The few post I had read both stated different views on secondary so I just thought I would post the question to see what people thought.
Sorry if it upset or frustated people.
Bottom line: See what works best for you. Do a batch using a secondary. Do a batch leaving it in the primary. Most things in brewing you learn by doing (hmmm, I think I need to copyright that).

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
stumpwater
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts

I may be stupid but i just racked to a glass secondary this morning after it sat in the primary for 33 days..Now i can watch it clear up.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Is it needed... No
Is it good to do... Yes

It clears up your beers and from my experience gives a crisper taste.
Now stop bitchen, drink a homebrew and use the search feature.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
D_Struct
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpwater View Post
I may be stupid but i just racked to a glass secondary this morning after it sat in the primary for 33 days..Now i can watch it clear up.
Not at all stupid.

You'll get good beer, too!

That's the great thing about this topic. There's really not a right or wrong way. It's more about preference. What works for one person might not work for someone else, or they might prefer to do things differently based on their need to just "be doing something". Sometimes, it's hard to just let a beer sit. lol

Beer will clear in the primary if you give it time, too. The key, when leaving it in the primary, is in how carefully you siphon, and whether or not you let it fully settle if/when you move it beforehand.

On Deck: Still researching
Primary: Empty (Not for long!)
Secondary: Empty
On Tap: Blood Orange Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, Belgian Tripel IPA, Breakfast Stout

Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #20
stumpwater
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Struct View Post
Not at all stupid.

You'll get good beer, too!

That's the great thing about this topic. There's really not a right or wrong way. It's more about preference. What works for one person might not work for someone else, or they might prefer to do things differently based on their need to just "be doing something". Sometimes, it's hard to just let a beer sit. lol

Beer will clear in the primary if you give it time, too. The key, when leaving it in the primary, is in how carefully you siphon, and whether or not you let it fully settle if/when you move it beforehand.

Quick Reply