Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is secondary ferm needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
BaltimoreBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is secondary ferm needed?

I have read alot of post saying that secondary is not really needed. I thought the yeast would give an off taste to the brew if left in to long past fermentation?

"if I dont die by Thursday I'll be roaring Friday night" Jimmy Buffett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

AFAIK, the yeast might give an off taste if the beer is left for a really really really long time on top of the yeast cake (we're talking months).

But most people use the "secondary" as a bright tank.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrewer View Post
I have read alot of post saying that secondary is not really needed. I thought the yeast would give an off taste to the brew if left in to long past fermentation?
If you've read the posts, then why do we need to answer again? This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been for 5 years. Why do we need to repeat the discussion again for you?

This is the most thorough and ongoing thread about it...All your questions are taken care of here-The hows, they why's, the whens, and what the nay sayers STILL say after all these years that we have countered or just ignored...the who schmere, the whole shebang all in one handy dandy thread......;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

At this point either read what's already here or do it and figure it out for yourself. But do you really want to further beat this horse to death?

I mean it's been beaten, resurected, beaten, zombified and beaten again, I think you can find enough info on here already....even as current as a couple hours ago in the above thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

How about a "beating a dead horse" smiley? Something like this:

Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

PVF it looks like two of them are eating the horse....maybe they're the zombies afterall.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
PVF it looks like two of them are eating the horse....maybe they're the zombies afterall.
Yeah I hadn't noticed that. Hilarious. I think the top one is supposed to be laughing after it strikes the horse, but it kind of looks like it is chewing.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
thisgoestoeleven
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Everyone knows zombies only eat people, stupid. God, do some research

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgoestoeleven View Post
Everyone knows zombies only eat people, stupid. God, do some research
You obviously missed episode 3 of the walking dead then, eh? And you called US stupid.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Someone needs a vacation..

Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
BaltimoreBrewer
Recipes 

Well I wish I had the time to dedicate to reading every post on here about secondary fermentation. Just looking for some answers and you could have pointed me in the right direction with out being a dbag about it.

"if I dont die by Thursday I'll be roaring Friday night" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply