Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fementation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
mblakely
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary fementation

I am using a 5 gal. glass carboy as my secondary fermentor. I know that air is bad at this point in the process, but should I fill the carboy with water? I could add a quart or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
nick79brew
Recipes 

if you add water you will be diluting your beer. if you have compresed co2 you can purge you carboy first. if not just fill er up, the following fermentaion will push the oxygen out and replace it with co2.
cheeers
nick

on tap:
pacific pale
oregon strawberry ale

Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wouldn't bother. When you racked, you will have stirred things up a bit, and this will release some CO2, displacing the air. If you add water, you will dilute the beer, and if you add the water from the tap, you will be adding more oxygen (which is what you are trying to avoid). Next time, make a slightly bigger batch to avoid the problem.

Good luck,

-a.

Edit. Great minds think alike (but some think a bit quicker than others).

Old 07-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The ale out-gasses CO2, it is heavier than air and pushes oxygen out of the clearing tank.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply