Secondary AND a bottling bucket???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBob

Reaction score
I'm planning to use a secondary fermenter.
I know this will get rid of the "crud" in the bottom of the primary, so do I still need to use a bottling bucket, or is it OK to prime and bottle directly from the secondary?

There are a few who do this I know, but it's kind of tuff to both get the priming solution stirred in well, and not get the trub off the bottom stirred in well. I't's kind of a beer uncertainty principle, if you will. ;)

Makes sense...in an uncertain way I guess. :drunk:

I was under the impression that the trub was left in the primary...but if there is any at the bottom of the secondary, then I guess the bucket makes more sense.

Thanks

You're right, most of the trub gets left behind in the primary, but there will still be some yeast settle out in the secondary, particularly if you let it go two weeks or more. Since a great deal of the value of a secondary is to clarify the beer, it never made sense to me to stir that up by trying to bottle out of the secondary...just my two cents.

Thanks again, and using the primary as a bottling bucket is a great idea...that's why I'm here.

I'm definitely glad I went with the carboys instead of the standard buckets right off the bat...I'm getting a kick out of watching the "action" im my primary...I can almost taste it already...but I'll wait!!!

Taste it now, tast the mash, taste the wort, taste it in primary,...I think you get it. Science has yet to build a machine with as good acuity as the taste buds and your nose. Those in combination with the computer between your ears will keep you informed of progress and warn when things go astray.

I agree, I taste as much as possible, but I never open my beer just for the sake of tasting it. I'm kind of paranoid about infection.

I always use a bottling bucket and always go secondary. I don't try to hard to keep the siphon from sucking a little trub off the bottom, but I don't mix it around in the secondary either. I figure a little trub off the bottom can't hurt, and it might help bottle condition. However, swirling it all around definitely defeats the purpose of a secondary. It is kind of an uncertainty thing isn't it?

Oh don't worry, I tasted it at about every step until cooling. Then I got it in the fermenter and sealed before I sneezed on it or something.
Pretty good too!!!
By the way, it is a Fat Tire Amber Ale knock off. The O.G. was listed as 1.050 and I measured mine at 1.051, so I think it hit it! Not bad for a first try. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to go as planned.
They called it an extract kit, but in addition to the LME it came with a couple of pounds (2.5) of cracked grains that had to be steeped. Would this be considered a mini-mash, or am I missing something?
Regardless of what you call it...Man, it made the house smell good!!!
I think I'm going to go have a beer now. :D

Back