Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Try a secondary once and look at all the sediment on the bottom. If you can live with it in your brew, then use your secondary as a new primary.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448
Thanks for everyone's input.

I wasn't going to eliminate the bottling bucket, just the X days sitting in secondary.

Totally agree with a comment above - I'm itching to get my first batch tasted, I'm sure there will have been serious errors which the extra time in secondary are not going to correct. Also wanting to brew another batch so I can try and improve overall brew process.

IMHO patience will be more beneficial for you than a secondary right now...

Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@brewt00l

exactly!

now i'm thinking i'll do the first batch with no secondary, then a second batch of essentially the same beer, and that time use the secondary - then i can see for myself what the difference is.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So far I can't disagree with any of the above comments, but one MAJOR factor has not been discussed...clearing and aging, OK, two.

The term "secondary fermentation" is actually a misnomer, there is no such thing. It's actually called "two-stage" brewing.

The second stage is placing your brew in a clearing tank (the secondary).

Its purpose is to allow your brew to sit quietly in the corner where more of the yeast drops out of the liquid to produce a clear beer.

The additional time also allows the brew to age and mellow a bit.

Certainly, there are more than two ways to skin a cat, er, brew beer. It's all a matter of choice and what your intentions for the brew are.

If you will be entering contests you definitely don't want to enter an unclear on, unless it's a weizen. The intention here is to stick to the style as best you can.

If you are offering to friends who can overlook the murkiness of it then by all means pour away. As far as I can tell the intention here is to get drunk.

If your intention is to produce a very outstanding brew that you would be proud to share with others, or secretly don't want to share, then, you get my point....

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 10-29-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #15
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@hb_99

it's not going to be entered in any competitions as it's my first attempt, but if the intention was *only* to get drunk, i wouldn't be home brewing!

i think as this is my first batch i'm taking the short route, but i appreciate everyone's input and i'm planning to use the secondary for the second batch i make, that way i'll see the diff between the two methods.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just trying to help a brother out...some people are willing to waste brews in the learning process. I say that's wrong and one of the reasons we are here...to help you not make mistakes and brew great tasting beer.

Incidently, I'm originally from Camden, but I've lived in Woodlyn, Oaklyn, Atlantic City, Mt Holly, and Philly...still have relatives in Pennsauken, Cherry Hill, some died off in Haddenfield, Mantua, Williamstown, etc.

Welcome.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #17
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
So far I can't disagree with any of the above comments, but one MAJOR factor has not been discussed...clearing and aging, OK, two.

The term "secondary fermentation" is actually a misnomer, there is no such thing. It's actually called "two-stage" brewing.

The second stage is placing your brew in a clearing tank (the secondary).

Its purpose is to allow your brew to sit quietly in the corner where more of the yeast drops out of the liquid to produce a clear beer.

The additional time also allows the brew to age and mellow a bit.

Certainly, there are more than two ways to skin a cat, er, brew beer. It's all a matter of choice and what your intentions for the brew are.
perhaps it has
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
Sure you can go primary -> bottles.

In general, the length of time is the key...you would be leaving the beer in the primary to condition and clear beyond the point that fermentation has completed. 3 weeks in the primary is basically going to net you the same basic thing as 1 in the primary and 2 in the secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
If you will be entering contests you definitely don't want to enter an unclear on, unless it's a weizen. The intention here is to stick to the style as best you can.

If you are offering to friends who can overlook the murkiness of it then by all means pour away. As far as I can tell the intention here is to get drunk.

If your intention is to produce a very outstanding brew that you would be proud to share with others, or secretly don't want to share, then, you get my point....
ack...the Jamil can 'o worms!
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42507

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The two newer NJ HBT members in this thread are invited to my teach a friend to brew day gathering (a week late on Nov 10th).

See http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40346

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #19
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@hb_99

i appreciate your comments. i'm impressed by the skills and experience i read about on this site, and i have to say just as impressed by the willingness to share this information around the group - as i said earlier in the thread - it's refreshing to see an internet forum that doesn't just conform to the usual ranting model.

@bobby_m

what time of day or night is your get together? i'd be interested but it's going to depend on the time of day etc.

Quick Reply