Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
slatkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default secondary?

Do not want to revive the whole to secondary or not secondary debate just have a quick question. I have a batch of light ale in primary for 9 days and is still bubbling nicely ( about every 10 seconds) and was wondering if most wait until bubbling stops to transfer. Have not taken a hydrometer reading yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

I would transfer.Im not an experienced secondarier,i go by looks with mine seeing the krausen drop.That is if you can see it.Since its a light ale its likely that it is just offgassing now anyways.Different yeast and temps depend though i guess. You may have heard this before but you dont have to transfer at all if you dont want to.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Before you do anything you need to take a gravity today and then in another day or two, if they are the same and you've reached the expected FG then you may transfer. You do not want to remove the beer from the yeast prior to reaching final gravity.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Before you do anything you need to take a gravity today and then in another day or two, if they are the same and you've reached the expected FG then you may transfer. You do not want to remove the beer from the yeast prior to reaching final gravity.
This. I personally do secondary, but that's beside the point. Do not move the beer until your gravity is stable - bubbles or no bubbles.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. Just took a reading and it is at 1.006 wich is about 3.7% will check again tommorow and transfer if steady. Tasted good for maybe a nice "lawnmower" beer.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatkin
Thanks guys. Just took a reading and it is at 1.006 wich is about 3.7% will check again tommorow and transfer if steady. Tasted good for maybe a nice "lawnmower" beer.
1.006? Woah. That is a really dry beer. Was the recipe mostly sugar?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do not remember the amount of sugar in the recipe. It was a Muntons american style light ale extract kit. I am at work right now but will look at my notes tonight and post the sugar amount. I want to come up with a mid alcohol light style beer that is quick,cheap and easy to make for a lawnmower beer and am trying different things, this is the latest I made a batch for a friend to try. He is a BMC drinker only and trying to turn him on to homebrew.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

It is still possible to make a light flavored beer without using sugar. I made an all-grain light lager and even substituted out the rice that the recipe called for and used a very light barley instead. It is harder to do with extract but still possible. You need to find very light, fresh, extract, and go easy on the bittering hops, but not too easy. It also help to make it a lager as the lagering process and yeast will make the beer crisp rather than fruity, but you need to be able to control fermentation temps down in the 50s, and then hold temps in the 30s for a month.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, the temp control is the main problem right now. My beer fridge crapped out, looking for a cheap replacement though. Also thinking real hard about going to BIAB as the next progression to all grain. Just got the ingrediants for an extract and mini mash SS oatmeal stout clone and with the DME it was about 45 bucks. Wanna do it cheaper and better. (i am a tightwad.)

Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
slatkin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This beer is still in primary bucket, I just checked SG it is 1.001!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The recipe was-
3.5# muntons light american ale LME
2.5# CORN SUGAR
.5 oz Halletau 20 min
.5 oz Hallertau 5 min
SafeAle US05

That must be way to much sugar??????????

Quick Reply