New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
DixonBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Secondary?

I know this has most likely been answered a trillion times... but....

So i know not to leave the beer in the primary too long after fermentation because of the off-flavors from the trub, but how long can in stay in the secondary without consequence?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Actually this has been covered ad nauseum, usually two to three times a day on here.

And the "off flavors from the trub" idea is a myth....do a search for "long primary" or "no secondary" or search "secondary" and you will see those discussions as well, they are all tied in together...Many of us shot that myth down and leave our beers up to a month or 6 weeks in primary and finds that it actually improves our beers rather than makes it worth....that old idea (fear of the yeast) is a carry over from the the days of old, dried out yeastcakes that sat on hot ships or under lids in stores, and not the case these days of fast turnover, refrigerator storage, where yeast is healthy.

In fact Even John Palmer in how to brew talks about leaving beers alone in primary for a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Brew
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Add you can leave beer in the secondary for a long long time, some even need to be bulk aged for a year.

There's plenty of info on here about it....you will find all you need with a little bit of digging. Just scroll through threads in the beginner's section. In fact some of them are even in the "similar threads" box below.

I'm not trying not to be helpful...but this topic is a daily occurrance on here, and most people are have given their thoughts on it. So if you want to get the info it won't be too hard to find.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
DixonBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks alot!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Pappers_

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

it can stay in secondary indefinitely - two to four weeks is common for medium-sized beers.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5729 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I had an award winning brown ale that was in the primary for 2 weeks, and then in the secondary for over 4 weeks (mainly out of laziness)....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

laziness tends to have me leave my beers in primary for 2-3 weeks, and 2ndary for another 2, no ill effects noticed.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Go Gators
Recipes 

I agree with Revvy, you will find a lot of info in a search. I do however leave almost every beer I make in the primary for 3 weeks. Many of them for longer, and just skip a secondary. GL

On Tap - Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Next - Nothing at the moment
Reading - Radical Brewing

GO GATORS!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an Irish Red ale that was in primary for 9 months.

It's not the best beer I've ever brewed, but I think that's mainly due to the recipe, not having been in primary a ridiculous amount of time.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless I need to do a secondary for the addition of fruit, I don't bother with secondary fermenters at all anymore...

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
BubbaK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
In fact some of them are even in the "similar threads" box below.

I've been reading this forum for 7-8 months and I never noticed that box.. Thats pretty cool!

Kick The Can Brewery

Quick Reply