New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Second Brew: Should I Wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
iron_city_ap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the swamp cooler technique too. Works fantastic, and is cheap. I used to live in a house with bad AC, so I had to rely on ice bottles. Get some gallon jugs and use them. I would have 1 in the cooler with the fermenter and the other in the freezer. You can rotate them out once a day and will probably be just fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
nytimez
Recipes 

Do you have to take constant temperature readings with the ice bottle method? Is there a chance you'll make it too cold?

My concern, since I'm so new, is I would be paranoid about opening the fermenter to check the temperature so often.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Put a sticky thermometer on the outside of the fermenter. They only cost $1-2. The brewing ones work great, but you can get ones for an aquarium that work about as well. Just make sure you get one that will read temps down to about 60 at least. The nice thing with these thermometers is you can easily check the temp without risking infection.

Yes its possible to get it too cold, but that will just give you a s-l-o-w start to the fermentation. Colder than optimal fermentation temps are better than too hot. To fix that, remove the ice from the cooler. You can take the fermenter out too, but you don't want rapid/dramatic temperature swings. After sitting out for a couple hours, the wort should be warmed up a bit and be fine to put back in the water.

Quick Reply