*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Second Brew ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
JeepGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Second Brew ideas

So, now that I'm looking at bottling my first brew; I'm looking at what my next one should be. I'm thinking about maybe a wheat or a red ale (I'm leaning more towards the red ale). Anybody have some experience with these that can get me pointed in the right direction. I'll prolly ask some at the home brewshop, but am wondering what you all have to say about it. Also, I'm wonder what I may have to do different from my first brew. My first one is an IPA that I made from an already hopped can of malt. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy
So, now that I'm looking at bottling my first brew; I'm looking at what my next one should be. I'm thinking about maybe a wheat or a red ale (I'm leaning more towards the red ale). Anybody have some experience with these that can get me pointed in the right direction. I'll prolly ask some at the home brewshop, but am wondering what you all have to say about it. Also, I'm wonder what I may have to do different from my first brew. My first one is an IPA that I made from an already hopped can of malt. Any thoughts?
A red sounds good with St. Paddy's coming up--and we have a thread going on it right now that will hopefully get some good recipes posted in it.

A suggestion for you--next time just use unhopped LME/DME and steep some grains. You'll improve the quality of your beer BIGTIME. If oyu have questions about that, ask around in the extract forum. LOTS of great info from these guys.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Sasquatch

Recipes 

How much trouble do you want to go to? There are decent "wort-in-a-bag" red ales out there, but it is also pretty easy to make a beer that you'll be very happy with from an extract recipe or as mentioned above, by improving an extract or a kit with some steeped grain action.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 01-18-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
JeepGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I'm only getting ready to bottle the first brew. I haven't gotten far enough into it to know about steeping grains, so I'll prolly check out the extract forum for some tips. Sorry for the noob question, but what is DME/LME? Is there a thread somewhere on this site that explains some of the more common abreviations?

Old 01-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dry Malt Extract, Liquid Malt Extract

Old 01-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
JeepGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png