New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Second Brew Documented (With Photos)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
play_it_leo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Second Brew Documented (With Photos)

Thanks for looking.

I am posting this more as a diary as opposed to a "how to" or "guide" because lets face it, there are better resources to describe the process. That being said, I hope some one can gain insight into the process I use, and maybe some others can offer suggestions on my technique.

Here's the recipe for reference.

Style: Stout
Type: Extract
IBU's: 56.43
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume: 5 Gallons
Color:***32.9 SRM**
Orig. Gravity:
Est Fin. Gravity:
Est. ABV: 7.2%
Grains & Adjuncts
1.00 lbs Crystal Malt - 90L
0.33 lbs Black Malt
0.33 lbs Roasted Barley
0.50 lbs Barley, Flaked (For Head)
Steeped at 150° for 40 min

2.75 lbs Dark Dry Extract
5.00 lbs Amber Dry Extract
Hops
1.00 ozs Pearle - 60 mins
1.00 ozs Chinook - 60 mins

Yeasts
1.0 vile British Ale - White Labs WLP005

First off, the LHBS either didn't have a mill, or the check out girl was too lazy to look into it. Either way I left with unmilled grain. This store is actually a larger liquor store, with a home brew section, and there are better options in my area which I will utilize next time.

No mill meant I had to crush the grains with a rolling pin. I probably shouldn't have combined the roasted barley and the black patent in the same bag. The roasted was getting crushed much faster than the black, and in the end I think my color may have suffered. From now on I will only walk away from the LHBS with milled grains.

As you can see, some of the black was not even cracked. Whoops!

On to set up, and sanitization.

I utilize two pots, one for steeping and another for the brew kettle (20 qt.)
I heat the steeping pot to 160°F while the brew pot is also on the heat. By the time the grains are finished steeping the brew pot is almost at boiling and ready to add the DME and hops.

Grains in steeping bags ready to go.

Steeping grains, almost finished.

Grains ready to rinse. With a pyrex 1 qt measuring cup I removed 2.5 quarts of 165° water from my brew kettle, which was on the other burner heating up. I then sparged the grain directly into the brew kettle.

Wort after adding the steeped grain mixture and heating up for the boil.

Dry malt extract ready to go in to the brew kettle.

Before I started to brew I had gathered all my bottles and placed them in this tub. I filled it with hot water and OxyClean to strip the labels. During the down time of steeping and boiling, I worked on stripping the labels.

Continued in next post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
play_it_leo
Recipes 

After DME addition.

Hops.

After hops addition.

So now the 60 min countdown begins, and I cracked open a brew and started stripping the labels.

Half way through the boil.

Cooling down the wort in the sink with several water and ice changes. The cool down to 80° took about one hour.

I use a sanitized colander to strain out hops, and to also aid in aeration.

Taking wort for a hydrometer reading was achieved by drawing liquid with a turkey baster and using a hydrometer test jar.

Pitching the yeast was not photographed.

I moved the fermenter down to the basement and waited. There was good bubbling with in 24 hours.

After approximately 60 hours, I noticed a small problem. The wort had bubbled out of the airlock. I was surprised because I have a 6.5 gallon bucket, but later realized that this is common.

I cleaned and sanitized the airlock and the fermentor lid, filled up the airlock and plugged it back in.

The bubbling returned with in 1 minute, indicating a very active fermentation.

Video of air lock bubbling

So now I am monitoring the temperature and trying to keep it consistent as possible.

I hope to have this batch drinkable by St. Patty's day dinner.

Thanks for looking and reading. Comments welcome.

Last edited by play_it_leo; 01-19-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
ACo
Recipes 

very nice. congrats on your second brew!

Primary 1: Empty :(
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: 802 AIPA (6% abv), Dunkelweizen (6.6% abv), EdWort's Apfelwein (8.5% abv), Centennial IPA (6.2% abv), 802 House Honey Pils Pale Ale (3.2% abv), 802 100IBU IIPA (7.7% abv), 802 Magnum/Centennial IPA (6.0% abv), 802 Honey Cream Ale (6.0% abv), Bourbon Breakfast Stout (7% abv)

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

black patent adds way more color than flavor so that crush should not be the biggest problem. an as far as being ready for st. patty's i would definatly think so. good luck and keep brewing

Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Mirilis
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice process.. its very similiar to mine when I first started out using extracts. One suggestion.. When you get the cash to either build or buy an immerision chiller i suggest doing it... those long ice baths are a constant pain in the a$$.

I bought the copper tubing and fittings for mine www.coppertubingsales.com since it was cheap and I was able to cool in around 15 minutes (depending on water temp.)

Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
DrDirt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For your second brew it looks like you've got your process pretty well dialed in. I especially like the colander with towels over the handles, tucked in below the fermenter handle, Rube Goldberg style.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
play_it_leo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjoiner View Post
black patent adds way more color than flavor so that crush should not be the biggest problem.
Thanks for the reply. I mentioned this because when I took my hydrometer reading, the wort was not as dark as I would have liked. It was a very dark brown, but not black, as I had expected.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
greensparrow
Recipes 

Great post! I'm halfway through my first batch and have been wonder about using a colander when I pour into the primary next time. Thought the way you did that was a great idea. Do most people strain? My first kit didn't have it as part of the instructions so I didn't. I definitely had a lot of sediment when transfer over to the secondary this time but was curious if there was any drawbacks to straining? Are flavors different when you strain vs not?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
play_it_leo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Great post! I'm halfway through my first batch and have been wonder about using a colander when I pour into the primary next time. Thought the way you did that was a great idea. Do most people strain? My first kit didn't have it as part of the instructions so I didn't. I definitely had a lot of sediment when transfer over to the secondary this time but was curious if there was any drawbacks to straining? Are flavors different when you strain vs not?
Thanks.

I use a strainer in an attempt to keep the hops out of the fermenter. It removes some of the pellet residue, and does a great job with keeping whole hop cones out of the fermenter.

Secondly, I feel it helps with aeration. I still give the bucket a good shake before adding the yeast.

I think next batch I am just going to rack it to the fermenter.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
shunt1317
Recipes 

Nice play by play of your brew....

Primary 1: IPA
Primary 2: Dubbel
Primary 3:

Quick Reply