Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Second Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
CTownBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I saw that about the DMS issue, but it seems to be more prevalent when doing partial mashes or all-grain. Until I can get an upgrade to a gas stove or a stand-alone propane burner, I need to stick to using extract. I've yet to have any off-flavors using this method. My Chocolate-PB Stout took an honorable mention in a competition I entered it in.

Also, the lid isn't totally shut on my boils. I use a large paint strainer bag that fits perfectly around the rim of my kettle for easy hop removal post-boil which leaves the lid cracked open a bit. Plus everything I've made so far has included a lot of separate additions, so the lid has been off probably 50% of the boil during these additions...maybe these factors are why I haven't had any off-flavor issues?

I'm glad you informed me though, because I do have a few PM recipes using rye malt that I want to try soon. I'll definitely remove the lid for those once I reach the boiling point.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
cms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thought I'd follow up. I tested the SG today since the airlock slowed down (after 4 days of fermentation - I know...I know... Patience is not my strength). Following the advice here, I'll probably keep it in the primary for a couple weeks and skip the secondary, but I just wanted to test it out to see where the fermentation was. It's down to the estimated FG according to my hydrometer (which I suspect is not accurate) and will probably still go down another point or two.

I have to say, that even in it's current state, it's much better tasting than the stuff I've had in bottles for a few weeks! This is going to be fantastic stuff! I can't wait for it to be bottled and conditioned...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
cms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another follow-up. I did move this to a secondary, and left it for another 8 days before bottling. Just tried a bottle this evening and this is already VERY good. It's still a little green and it's way darker than I expected, but quite good. Very roasty and chocolaty. Almost no hop character, though.

My first batch took almost three weeks in bottles to get good, and by that time I had guzzled most of it. I did better this time in the waiting part. After killing my two 'test bottles' tonight, I poured a Sawtooth Ale (one of my local favorites) and just felt sad that it wasn't more of my new brown ale.

I am in love with drinking my own beer.

Quick Reply