New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Seasonal brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Noz03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Seasonal brewing

I live in a quite hot country (30-40°C in the summer), and from what I have heard you can not brew beer above certain temperatures. So I'm trying to think of a solution for this problem before the summer comes around in June. I'm thinking if I can brew all my beer in the spring, and then somehow keep it until the summer... although I also have very limited bottles, actually am mostly using soda bottles so far! So what is the best way to do this? Or is there a way to brew in the summer time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
DrunkleJon
ADD Ginge.. HEY, that is shiny!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 739 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Most of us find an old fridge/freezer and attach a temperature controller to it to make a fermentation chamber. Additionally you will find some wonderfully creative other techniques for cooling your fermenter using things such as a swamp cooler (a tub of water with the fermenter in it covered with a shirt and added frozen water bottles to cool), or other ways like building a chamber and cooling it with a window AC unit. Check out the DIY section for many examples.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
CircusHooker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brew a saison!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Noz03
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
Most of us find an old fridge/freezer and attach a temperature controller to it to make a fermentation chamber. Additionally you will find some wonderfully creative other techniques for cooling your fermenter using things such as a swamp cooler (a tub of water with the fermenter in it covered with a shirt and added frozen water bottles to cool), or other ways like building a chamber and cooling it with a window AC unit. Check out the DIY section for many examples.
Are there any cheaper options? The other thing is I will only be in this country for one more summer, I doubt I could brew enough to be worth spending money on a fridge :/

Is it not possible to brew the beer and then keep it in water bottles in a dark place for a few months before I bottle it in the summer?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
DrunkleJon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cheap? lets see. The swamp cooler is the cheapest I know of. But it requires you to pay attention to temps and be able to throw ice in your bucket as required. Throwing the frozen water bottles in a swamp cooler to maintain temps is probably best. Otherwise the best bet is to look for styles that are best brewed at the temperatures that you can maintain. Think of anything you can find or engineer to cool the area cheaply. Underground, dampness, utilize the coolest area you can find and maintain temps, then decide what to brew.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I know there are certain brews that like warmer temps. A poster above mentioned saisons, I've also heard heffes and other wheat beers like warmer temps.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Mirkin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by circushooker
brew a saison!
+1

For ales needing 20C ferments:

A big tub/bath of cold water for your fermenter, wet towel over the top of the fermenter - this will help keep temps down when ambient is around. For the hotter days have 6-9 big 2L bottles of water frozen and rotating through the water (under the towel) as required to keep the temperature down.

And option 3 is brew all winter/spring/early summer like a mad beast to stockpile enough to get through without brewing during the summer.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
maybemutlee
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

We've had some nasty temps here of late and I've brewed a lager, which needs to be between 13 and 24c. We had nine days straight with temps over 32c so I had to keep it cool. This is my method below. I have, as mentioned by previous posters, used frozen water bottles too. I rotate...two in the freezer and two in the chiller pictured. I swap them every 12 hours or so. So far my temps have been spot on 17c so it has worked really well. The towel on top is kept damp too.
Good luck!!

Beer. Good.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Noz03
Recipes 

Is my idea possible though? To just store the uncarbonated beer in large plastic bottles after it has finished fermenting, then just bottle it in the summer ready to drink? Or would the beer go bad in this condition?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
DrunkleJon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You can do a long condition, though in my opinion collecting bottles is not so difficult and you can always bottle and store them that way. If you wait too long to bottle carb, you may need to add a little fresh yeast or otherwise carbonation may take a while to rouse the yeast.

Quick Reply