Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Search Function...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
bearkluttz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Search Function...

Near the top of the page underneath the maroon banner with the HBT logo on it there is a link that says "Search". This is an amazing function and one that we should repeatedly thank Tx for putting there. As a new brewer i too find it hard not to quickly post a question i have but BELIEVE ME, any question you have, has probably already been asked. Use the search function. It is your friend. Please at least give it a shot before you start a thread like "What water should i use" ( yes i started one too...)or "I think i have an infection!" or "My beer is under/over carb'd". There is an amazing wealth of knowledge here. Read up on your question and then, if it hasn't been answered, at least you will be able to ask a more specific and detailed revision of what you originally wondered.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!" FC1(SW) Ruben Serrato

Primary: Polar Bear Pale Ale
Secondary: Red Haired Black Bear Stout
Apfelwein Carboy:
Apple/White Cranberry Hybrid
Bottled: EdWorts Apfelwein;RPA Red Panda Ale; Kodiak Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkluttz View Post
Near the top of the page underneath the maroon banner with the HBT logo on it there is a link that says "Search". This is an amazing function and one that we should repeatedly thank Tx for putting there. As a new brewer i too find it hard not to quickly post a question i have but BELIEVE ME, any question you have, has probably already been asked. Use the search function. It is your friend. Please at least give it a shot before you start a thread like "What water should i use" ( yes i started one too...)or "I think i have an infection!" or "My beer is under/over carb'd". There is an amazing wealth of knowledge here. Read up on your question and then, if it hasn't been answered, at least you will be able to ask a more specific and detailed revision of what you originally wondered.
*sigh*

It doesn't work...no matter how many times we ask....they don't listen, and other's no matter how many times we ask....don't use it anyway.

AND it really is a well done search function too, if you change the search parameters...you can search for threads or single posts...

Nice sentiment Bearklutz...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Endovelico
Recipes 

I said i was sorry!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endovelico View Post
I said i was sorry!
Trust me, they are NOT beating up on you! Every day (sometimes multiple times per day) the same questions are asked. Usually, they are "will aluminum give me brain cancer?", "They have 5 gallon water bottles at work- can I use this?", "Is this batch ruined?" and "Is my fermentation stuck?".

While we all like being helpful, sometimes it's hard to type out the same answer over and over. So, always feel free to ask questions whenever you want about whatever you want. But sometimes you get better answers if you start with, "I read the FAQ about fermentation times, but I was wondering if my FG would be lower if it was warmer", or something like that. Then we can also be more specific to your particular problem.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
Endovelico
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Trust me, they are NOT beating up on you! Every day (sometimes multiple times per day) the same questions are asked. Usually, they are "will aluminum give me brain cancer?", "They have 5 gallon water bottles at work- can I use this?", "Is this batch ruined?" and "Is my fermentation stuck?".

While we all like being helpful, sometimes it's hard to type out the same answer over and over. So, always feel free to ask questions whenever you want about whatever you want. But sometimes you get better answers if you start with, "I read the FAQ about fermentation times, but I was wondering if my FG would be lower if it was warmer", or something like that. Then we can also be more specific to your particular problem.
I know, i was just messin'.
I see where you're all coming from, i actually got alot of answers just by lurking and using Google redirects to this forum.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
telemarc
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, and I don't want to piss anyone off. The search function is great!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I gotta say that I don't agree!

My results always end up taking me to a bevy of threads with twenty-something pages involved.

Which, I'm sure would work for me, if I would just wade through all those pages.

Revvy mentioned that search parameters can be changed to search individual posts, but I must not know how.

I thought searching would be pretty much a no-brainer!

I mean, I DO Google, after all!

Maybe I can find a sticky that will catch me up to speed.

Pogo

Old 10-13-2008, 02:23 AM   #8
bad coffee

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I too, hate the normal search.

It's not like other search engines. If you type in "wort chiller" WITH the quotes, it comes back

Searched for the following words/phrases : 'wort' 'chiller'

WTF. I want to search for Haus Pale Ale. Not Haus, and Pale and ale.

most other bb searches can handle simple boolean quantifiers.

I end up using google search for phrases.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
alex_wilkosz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think asking the same questions over is beneficial to the site. sure you can look around and such. but for a newb to really get involved with brewing, and the site, being able to converse is helpful. and many of you are very knowledgeable, it just seemed to me as never being here before when i started using the site, direct question asking was the best way for me

Old 10-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
Searched for the following words/phrases : 'wort' 'chiller'