Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sealing a Better Bottle and Airlock vs. Blowoff Tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Boston Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Sealing a Better Bottle and Airlock vs. Blowoff Tube

Just some newbie questions that I was thinking about before I purchase my gear.

Assuming I am using a 6g Better Bottle as a fermenter, should I be using a blow-off tube, or will a 3-piece airlock suffice (which seems simpler to me)?

Also, it seems that some folks have had difficulties using carboy caps to seal their Better Bottles. Is there a preferred, or recommended way to seal a Better Bottle?

As always, thanks in advance,
Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Orange carboy cap works for me on a bb, I also use a #10 or 11 stopper (I can't recall which) with an airlock and it works fine. Never had a batch that really had blowoff though...

Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I also use Orange carboy caps and a 3-piece airlock. The benefit is that these also work on glass carboys without juggling stoppers and stuff.

I use 5 and 6 gallon BB's, using the 6 gallon as a primary which gives room for krausen. I've not yet had a ferment powerful enough to escape that.

However, I've have blown some 5 gallon BB's if I'd used them as primaries, so I'd suggest using a blow-off tube or buying a 6 gallon to use as a primary.

And as a side note: I use vodka in my airlocks. Better Bottles flex, as do the orange carboy caps. While Star-San won't hurt your brew in an amount that small I like the notion of suckback adding alcohol rather than acid.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with the vodka, but Starsan turns to yeast nutrient. It will never hurt your beer, even in greater amounts.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the 6 gallon BB's for my primary. I have tried the orange carboy hood with a 2 piece airlock and had the airlock launched into outer space and the cap come off the bottle. My best results (no failures) have been with the BB closure (use the small o-ring) and 1/2 inch OD vinyl hose as a blowoff going into a large container of Starsan solution.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

First, the orange carboy caps fit way too loose for my tastes on the 6g BB. I just switched to #10 stoppers and I like it much better. Since I recently upped my 5 gallon batches to closer to 5.75g, I started using blowoffs. Go to lowes or HD and get a plastic barb to barb coupling meant for connecting two pieces of 1/2" ID tubing. Force one end into the stopper and throw some 1/2" hose on the other end. Easy. I've found that this is big enough not to clog and turn the stopper into a projectile. Once your active ferment subsides, you can swap it out for a 3-piece airlock. You might feel like you can get away with airlocks and you might for a while, but it's not a matter of IF you'll have a CFE (catastrophic fermentation event TM), but when.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You will be safer and there will be no need for worrying if you use a blowoff tube. I use a #10 stopper that is drilled out for a 1.025 tube.

Gary

Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I use a blowoff tube everytime, even when it's not necessary. Cheap, and easy to sterilize and put in.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a number 10 stopper and a 3 piece airlock. I haven't need a blow off tube yet.

Töpperwein Brewery

Quick Reply