New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Scored a keg for $20!




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
mpjay2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 45
Likes Given: 1

Default Scored a keg for $20!

Yup, I found a half barrel keg on Craigslist for 20 bucks. Now..... how the heck do I turn this thing into a keggle? I saw a couple old threads but was wondering if anyone has come up with a better way to skin that cat lately.

Mpjay



__________________
mpjay2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
drhookmec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
drhookmec's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pont., MI
Posts: 284
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

There are a lot of youtube videos on this

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=keg+into+a+keggle&oq=keg+into +a+keggle&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1400l9451l 0l9673l17l17l0l1l1l0l160l1780l4.12l16l0



__________________
drhookmec is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
snccoulter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nooksack, Washington (WA)
Posts: 937
Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simplest-keggle-cutting-jig-143048/ use this it is easy as pie, loud but easy as pie.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuDreaming View Post
As a parent, hearing nuggets of parenting wisdom from someone who's never had kids is a bit like hearing sex advice from a virgin.
“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/
snccoulter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
two_one_seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 700
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

What the other posters said as far as conversion.

I don't want to be a spoil sport but that keg is most likely stolen. Do an search for for return deposit and keg and you will get a bunch of threads about this. It's just a moral thing on my part, its a great score for sure.

__________________
Lick Creek Brewing Co.
accident + curiosity x repetition* = happy humans *coefficient of magic brewing stick must be applied to repetition. History of brewing in one equation.
two_one_seven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
mpjay2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 45
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks for the info guys!

__________________
mpjay2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
snccoulter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nooksack, Washington (WA)
Posts: 937
Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_one_seven View Post
What the other posters said as far as conversion.

I don't want to be a spoil sport but that keg is most likely stolen. Do an search for for return deposit and keg and you will get a bunch of threads about this. It's just a moral thing on my part, its a great score for sure.

Ug someone lost the deposit
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuDreaming View Post
As a parent, hearing nuggets of parenting wisdom from someone who's never had kids is a bit like hearing sex advice from a virgin.
“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/
snccoulter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
two_one_seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 700
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
Ug someone lost the deposit
Actually a brewer lost a keg. The deposit does not cover the cost of the keg. I believe the deposit price is set by politicians and therefore it can't be set high enough to cover replacing the keg.

It's may seem funny, when buy your next beer you are paying for that keg. Even if you homebrew you still buy or have bought beer at some time.
__________________
Lick Creek Brewing Co.
accident + curiosity x repetition* = happy humans *coefficient of magic brewing stick must be applied to repetition. History of brewing in one equation.
two_one_seven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
jaytizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 347
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_one_seven View Post
Actually a brewer lost a keg. The deposit does not cover the cost of the keg. I believe the deposit price is set by politicians and therefore it can't be set high enough to cover replacing the keg.
Hence why it's illegal, at least where I'm from, for scrap metal businesses to buy kegs from anybody other than a licensed distributor.
__________________
jaytizzle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
two_one_seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 700
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Yep



__________________
Lick Creek Brewing Co.
accident + curiosity x repetition* = happy humans *coefficient of magic brewing stick must be applied to repetition. History of brewing in one equation.
two_one_seven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just scored a 7cu ft chest freezer for cheap!! Jsamp Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 08-01-2011 08:39 PM
scored some items Goblism Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-15-2011 04:19 PM