The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > scorched the bottom of pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
gimmebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

philhead1 wrote:

Quote:
will a 90 minute boil make it more bitter?
In short, yes. Hops that go in with 5 minutes or less left are considered aroma hops, at 15 to 30, roughly, they're flavoring hops, and at 45 minutes or more they're bittering hops. An hour is about standard for bittering hops, but the longer the more bitter, up to a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
philhead1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok thanks, note to self "stir my extract analy before turning up heat, more boil more bitter". really starting to dig the more bitter beers, think it started with my steam style. looking to make a few more this winter.

does anyone have a god nut brown ale recipe?? partial grain.

WHY BEER DRINKER GO TO HEAVEN

He who drinks beer sleeps well
He who sleeps well does not sin
He who does not sin goes to heaven

Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhead1 View Post
Do I have to boil for 60 min? some kits only require 20, whats the difference?
If you are using unhopped extract, your process should go something like this;

Heat water to boiling, remove from heat and add a portion of your extract ( about 1/4 ) along with your bittering hops. Boil for the length of time you need to acheive your bittering potential, at least 60 minutes or for more bittering 90 minutes. at various times you add your flavour and aroma hops also.
With 10 to 5 minutes left in the boil remove from heat and stir in the rest of your extract and stir well to keep it from scorching. resume boiling until finished.

If using hopped extract and you are not planning on adding more hops, then just boil for 5 to 10 minutes without scorching the wort.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
theKman
Recipes 

I use a pour slowly/stir quickly method. I place my container of LME in a larger pot of very warm water to heat it up a little before adding it. I feel it allows me to pour a thinner ribbon of it into the brewpot, so large globs of it don't dive in and sink to the bottom. I'm guessing that most probably do this too, but is hasn't been mentioned yet.

Quick Reply