Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > School me on All Grain Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
formula2fast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default School me on All Grain Brewing

So I am 3 brews into the obsession, a 1 gallon all grain, a 5 gallon partial mash, and a 5 gallon extract (in that order) and I am not really sure about what I am hearing about the all grain brewing. Here is why I am kind of confused.

My first brew was a 1 gallon brew from Brooklyn Brew Shop and it was an all grain brew. Super easy, no crazy equipment needed, just steeped for a hour, strained the grains, poured my wort over the grain strainer two more times to rinse all the sugars out, and then went into my boil.

Why do I need extra special equipment to do all grain brews for a 5 gallon mix. Is it just because of the large amount of grain that I will need and the ability to rinse the grain after steeping? Isn't the process the same as I did for my 1 gallon all grain. I much prefered the process of the all grain I did, but I fear that a brooklyn brew shop kit may take short cuts or is just easier because of the volume. I now have a 10 gallon kettle and think that I can do an all grain with that and my regular equipment, but I am sure I am missing something.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

yes it's because of the large amount of grain and having to strain and sparge it. Look into brew in a bag. It's a new all grain technique that is very similar to what you've already done.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120 View Post
yes it's because of the large amount of grain and having to strain and sparge it. Look into brew in a bag. It's a new all grain technique that is very similar to what you've already done.
This

Being an apartment dweller, BIAB was the only practical way for me to go. Now I don't think I'd switch even if I had the space!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Since you already have a 10 gallon pot the only thing that requires the extra space is mashing. You could make a 10 gallon mash tun in a Lowe's/HD round cooler for around 50 bucks total and you'd be set. It's just a cooler with the drain taken out and replaced with a spigot and a mesh drain filter.

This is the thread with all the instructions. I built mine for 50 bucks and have done 25 6 gallon batches with no problems.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

Best part is it's small and the only thing you need. The grain falls out in one clump after you finish which makes cleaning hassle free.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Since you already have a 10 gallon pot the only thing that requires the extra space is mashing. You could make a 10 gallon mash tun in a Lowe's/HD round cooler for around 50 bucks total and you'd be set. It's just a cooler with the drain taken out and replaced with a spigot and a mesh drain filter.

This is the thread with all the instructions. I built mine for 50 bucks and have done 25 6 gallon batches with no problems.

Best part is it's small and the only thing you need. The grain falls out in one clump after you finish which makes cleaning hassle free.
Cheers, fellow vegan brewer.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Steeping grains is a more primitive method of all grain brewing. It is a simple process that allows you to impart some flavor from special grains.

When we talk about all grain here we mean that we process the grain bill by crushing, then extracting what we need to feed to the yeast. It is not difficult but we do need certain types of equipment as well as specific processes such as temperature control.

Spend a bit of time reading here and in no time you will get a flavor for it, no pun intended. You will also find that you get great ideas and advice with this group at HBT.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I already have a huge grain bag, so really the mash tun is just an easier way to strain grains by pouring in the wort and then drain it out back into my kettle, right?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer

+1, this is the mash tun I use. It was cheap and works great!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

theveganbrewer Likes This 
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula2fast View Post
I already have a huge grain bag, so really the mash tun is just an easier way to strain grains by pouring in the wort and then drain it out back into my kettle, right?
If you can maintain temps in the grain bag/kettle setup for an hour and then had a way to get your sparge water on the grain bag in a separate pot, probably nothing more than 5 gallons, I guess that would work. In AG, you'd mash the grains, then drain the container, then add more hot water, drain, and boil. But you'd be unable to do that if you did it in one pot.

By maintaining temps, I'd say 148-156 degrees depending on your brew, for 60 minutes. You would probably have to insulate the kettle heavily, but I'm not sure exactly. In my estimation, by the time you insulated it and bought the 2nd smaller kettle, you'd be over the 50 bucks for making the cooler mash tun.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I can maintain the temp in my kettle.

So if I mashed in my kettle for an hour, poured wort into the the homemade mash tun with the grain bag in it, and then drained the mash tun back into my kettle, would that accomplish the same thing? That makes sense in my head, but not sure if it does in practice.

Quick Reply