Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Scaling Recipe for Lower Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Enhoffer-Knopfe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Scaling Recipe for Lower Efficiency

When scaling a recipe for lower mash efficiency than called for in a recipe do I just increase base malts and leave the specialty malts the same or do I increase specialty malts as well? It seems to me that if I increase the specialty malts to keep the percentage of specialty malts that the recipe calls for it may turn out to be too sweet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

.......what is your goal?

Mash at 155 or so and you will get less fermentables without changing the recipe.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Just the base malts, unless it's vienna or munich or another specialty malt that requires a mash.

Most of the roasted malts don't require mashing as the roasting process caramelizes the sugars. You should keep your steeping grains and roasted malts exactly the same amounts unless you re-scale the batch size up or down.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Enhoffer-Knopfe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Just the base malts, unless it's vienna or munich or another specialty malt that requires a mash.

Most of the roasted malts don't require mashing as the roasting process caramelizes the sugars. You should keep your steeping grains and roasted malts exactly the same amounts unless you re-scale the batch size up or down.
Thank you. I made an IIPA that for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it was so sweet, makes sense to me now.

Quick Reply