Scaling Ingredients: Effects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
I am planning to brew https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/ in a week. It is extract based and I am still in the process of trying to convert it to AG (any help would be appreciated, I can't seem to get it just right).

I am using 2-row Pale UK for base malt, some flaked barley, roasted barley, and black patent malt. Cluster and East Kent Goldings hops for bittering.

My main inquiry is that when I convert it to AG what if I end up scaling up my grains to match the flavor profile? The direct conversion of extract to grains ends up being 9.67lbs of grain, but with only 9.67lbs of grain it gives 32IBUs (and the recipe is 19).

What effects will that have on the overall brew? I assume increased ABV, but anything else?

Maybe a silly question, but thanks for the time :mug:

The reason for the IBU difference is that the original recipe was for a partial boil of very high gravity. You'll be doing a full boil with a much lower gravity which will substantially improve your hop utilization (give you more IBU's)
You can cut back a bit on the 60 minute hop addition to correct this difference, but don't go overboard. The IBU's are only estimates. I'd cut the cluster down to 0.75 oz which should give you an estimated 25 IBU's

-a.

Latest posts

Back