Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > say you were to completely filter your beer before transfering to bottling bucket...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
RippinLt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default say you were to completely filter your beer before transfering to bottling bucket...

Would you lose the yeast and the sugar would just sit in the brew/bottle and never carbonate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

There are different sized filters- .5 microns and .2 microns that I know of. The coarser filters wouldn't filter out all of the yeast, but the finer ones would.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Yeast are in suspension, sugar is in solution. If you define completely filtered as removing all items from suspension then you would have no yeast. Commercial breweries that bottle condition typically remove yeast via filtration or centrifuge and add fresh yeast before bottling.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
RippinLt
Recipes 

well if you filter out some yeast, but not all, wont you still have a weak carbonation process that may never reach a satisfactory stage.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinLt View Post
well if you filter out some yeast, but not all, wont you still have a weak carbonation process that may never reach a satisfactory stage.
For a home brewer I imagine it would be either pretty difficult or expensive to filter out all of the yeast. Surely, if you managed to filter out some then there would still be plenty to carbonate the beer.

Why do you want to filter your beer is the question. Time and patients will do the same thing and leave you with a more delicious, more authentic beer. If you naturally carbonate your beer there is going to be sediment in your bottle no matter what. Filtration will not solve that.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

If you were trying to turn your beer around quickly, I guess you could use a coarse filter to remove a good bit of the yeast and still have some left to bottle condition the beer. I've never heard of anyone doing this, but in theory it would work.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1013 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just let the beer clear in the fermenter before you rack to the bottling bucket. You'd have to move it to a pressure vessel like a keg to be able to push beer through a filter anyway. You weren't thinking you could gravity drain through 5 micron right?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
RippinLt
Recipes 

I didn't think the process through at all, just curious about the process or results

Quick Reply