Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanity check - calculating brewhouse efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Monkfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Sanity check - calculating brewhouse efficiency

Hi all - I'm looking for a sanity check here on what I'm doing to determine my efficiency.

My process right now is this:
1.) Mash and sparge. Upon completion of sparge, gently stir the wort and take a sample from the brewpot.
2.) Reduce sample temperature to somewhere in the 80* area (my arbitrary number) - take gravity reading and record wort temperature.
3.) Boil wort and chill.
4.) Stir the chilled wort well and take a second gravity reading and record wort temperature.
5.) Plug the numbers into an online calculator along with the grain bill (I had been using rooftopbrew's calculator)

Does this all sound right or do you do differently?

Thanks!
MF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds fine to me.

So what's your efficiency?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

To calculate the brewhouse efficiency, you need to get an accurate reading of the volume of wort in the fermenter and the gravity of that wort. A calculator should then be able to calculate your efficiency, but you cannot do it without taking the volume into account.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Monkfish Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Monkfish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
To calculate the brewhouse efficiency, you need to get an accurate reading of the volume of wort in the fermenter and the gravity of that wort. A calculator should then be able to calculate your efficiency, but you cannot do it without taking the volume into account.

-a.
Thanks both of you for the responses. I have been factoring in volume into the calculations. I've been getting very low 80%s consistently since changing my crush to .037" - which was a better improvement than I had expected since reducing from the factory gap (and a very slow batch sparge.)

Much obliged.

Quick Reply