The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
JDRanalli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing tips

I currently live in a very small apartment with very small kitchen and bathroom sink s. Any tips on efficiently sanitizing my larger equipment? We do have a dishwasher but it is not large enough for buckets, etc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
BleacherBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the hose in my kitchen sink and am also lucky enough to have a movable shows head that works as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I use Starsan in a spray bottle and just spray my larger pots and things and/or wipe them down with a starsan-soaked washrag, then let drip until the excess is dripped away.

You do not need to "soak" starsan, just wet everything and leave stand for 1.5 minutes (actually more like 30 seconds, but the FDA requires them to put 1.5 minutes on the label...)

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've been using an extra 5 gallon bucket and filling it up halfway with 1/2 oz of StarSan. I also keep a spritzer on hand filled with it too- that's very handy. I usually pour or siphon the contents of the big bucket into the larger pieces (fermenter, carboy, etc... splash around for a minute or two, then pour back into the bucket and cover them. Then place all the small items (airlock pieces, hoses, autosiphon, hydrometer, etc...) I even set my wort chiller in there too. Probably not necessary, but I figure it doesn't hurt and I want to make sure I put 100% effort into sanitizing.

Thanks for bringing up this question as I am always on the lookout for more convenient sanitation methods. Some people use a long wallpaper tray for sanitizing the various small items and that looks like a good idea too.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

You could clean the big stuff in the bathtub. Sanitizing is just a matter of pouring starsan,for instance ofer the lid of an ale pale into it,then down the sides. Drain through the spigot after it's been cleaned & re-installed. I drain it through the spigot back into it's storage jug. I use an old large printer stand as aferment stand/storage unit. I set the fermenter on top of it with 3-4TBSP of PBW in it,then fill with water & stir & cover for 5-7 days to saok it clean. Lightly scrub inside with my bottle brush,then drain through spigot into a homer cheapo orange bucket. Then flush it down.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just place all of your smaller equipment in the bucket filled with sanitizing solution. Use the equipment as needed and then toss it back in the bucket. Or get one of those $5 large plastic bins from Sears/Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart and fill that up with your solution.

My carboys are filled with sanitizing solution and placed in the tub until I need them. But I don't use to tub to actually sanitize the outside of the carboys... pointless. Be sure to use cleaned equipment though.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

As soon as I'm done with any of the first step equipment (pot-tun-spigots-hoses-chiller and whatever) I clean it before anything has a chance to dry on and get gunky.

Same goes for fermenter and then bottling bucket.

Next brew session I still soak and wipe down everything in OXY then a spray of Starsan and I'm good to go.

Hate having to worry about dried on wort and what can grow on it or attach to it while being stored.

bosco

Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
JDRanalli
Recipes 

Very very helpful, thank you all so much!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My last brew session as well as bottling session I also left one side of my kitchen sink filled up with Oxyclean solution the whole time. It was very convenient anytime I wasn't sure about something, wash it in the sink quick and dip it in the bucket of Starsan. Easy!

Quick Reply