Sanitizing (Sterilizing) using the oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretius

Reaction score
I was reading in the book "How to Brew" that, after you wash your equipment to get it clean you can put your items in your oven and cook at 340F for an hour and this will sterilize your stuff. Obviously I wouldn't put plastic in there and would sanitize it using something else, and the stuff I did put in would sit in the oven while it heated to avoid thermal shock but this sounds like a really cheap way to ready the brewing equipment. Is this correct, or should I be using sanitizers on all of my items?

I was reading in the book "How to Brew" that, after you wash your equipment to get it clean you can put your items in your oven and cook at 340F for an hour and this will sterilize your stuff. Obviously I wouldn't put plastic in there and would sanitize it using something else, and the stuff I did put in would sit in the oven while it heated to avoid thermal shock but this sounds like a really cheap way to ready the brewing equipment. Is this correct, or should I be using sanitizers on all of my items?

Yeah its a great way to sanitize, takes a long time though because you have to heat it up and then allow time for it to cool back down to

That would work, I assume. Almost all of the stuff I use is plastic (siphons, tubing, hoses, bottling wand) or too big (carboys) so I never thought about it. It would take a very long time- first to sterilize, then to cool down. To my mind, it's just easier to sanitize it. It takes less than 10 minutes for me to sanitize all my stuff anyway, including the plastic and the fermenters.

Ah, so the time factor is the main issue. Makes sense! While everyone's here, I have another question: I am going to be buying my brewing equipment this week so I can start a brew up for the weekend; the kit at my local homebrew supply has a secondary with it, but from the reading I've done; a lot of people don't seem to use secondaries. Should I cut my costs and not buy the secondary or should I get it?

Ah, so the time factor is the main issue. Makes sense! While everyone's here, I have another question: I am going to be buying my brewing equipment this week so I can start a brew up for the weekend; the kit at my local homebrew supply has a secondary with it, but from the reading I've done; a lot of people don't seem to use secondaries. Should I cut my costs and not buy the secondary or should I get it?

I only use a secondary for certain beers- like dryhopping, or lagering. It's definitely up to you- I'm a very patient person, so I have no problem leaving a beer in the primary three or so weeks or even more. If you only have one fermenter, though, you may wish you had another primary, or at least to rack to the secondary and start the next beer.

As long as we're talking about kitchen appliances, you may want to consider your dishwasher.

Run it with no soap on the "sanitize" setting with heated dry.

Just a thought.

As long as we're talking about kitchen appliances, you may want to consider your dishwasher.

Run it with no soap on the "sanitize" setting with heated dry.

Just a thought.

That's what I do for bottles.

Just be sure your dishwasher actually gets hot enough.

Latest posts

Back