Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing (Sterilizing) using the oven?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Lucretius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing (Sterilizing) using the oven?

I was reading in the book "How to Brew" that, after you wash your equipment to get it clean you can put your items in your oven and cook at 340F for an hour and this will sterilize your stuff. Obviously I wouldn't put plastic in there and would sanitize it using something else, and the stuff I did put in would sit in the oven while it heated to avoid thermal shock but this sounds like a really cheap way to ready the brewing equipment. Is this correct, or should I be using sanitizers on all of my items?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretius View Post
I was reading in the book "How to Brew" that, after you wash your equipment to get it clean you can put your items in your oven and cook at 340F for an hour and this will sterilize your stuff. Obviously I wouldn't put plastic in there and would sanitize it using something else, and the stuff I did put in would sit in the oven while it heated to avoid thermal shock but this sounds like a really cheap way to ready the brewing equipment. Is this correct, or should I be using sanitizers on all of my items?

Yeah its a great way to sanitize, takes a long time though because you have to heat it up and then allow time for it to cool back down to

Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
That would work, I assume. Almost all of the stuff I use is plastic (siphons, tubing, hoses, bottling wand) or too big (carboys) so I never thought about it. It would take a very long time- first to sterilize, then to cool down. To my mind, it's just easier to sanitize it. It takes less than 10 minutes for me to sanitize all my stuff anyway, including the plastic and the fermenters.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Lucretius
Recipes 

Ah, so the time factor is the main issue. Makes sense! While everyone's here, I have another question: I am going to be buying my brewing equipment this week so I can start a brew up for the weekend; the kit at my local homebrew supply has a secondary with it, but from the reading I've done; a lot of people don't seem to use secondaries. Should I cut my costs and not buy the secondary or should I get it?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Ah, so the time factor is the main issue. Makes sense! While everyone's here, I have another question: I am going to be buying my brewing equipment this week so I can start a brew up for the weekend; the kit at my local homebrew supply has a secondary with it, but from the reading I've done; a lot of people don't seem to use secondaries. Should I cut my costs and not buy the secondary or should I get it?
I only use a secondary for certain beers- like dryhopping, or lagering. It's definitely up to you- I'm a very patient person, so I have no problem leaving a beer in the primary three or so weeks or even more. If you only have one fermenter, though, you may wish you had another primary, or at least to rack to the secondary and start the next beer.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As long as we're talking about kitchen appliances, you may want to consider your dishwasher.

Run it with no soap on the "sanitize" setting with heated dry.

Just a thought.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
As long as we're talking about kitchen appliances, you may want to consider your dishwasher.

Run it with no soap on the "sanitize" setting with heated dry.

Just a thought.
That's what I do for bottles.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
DrMaddVibe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
That's what I do for bottles.
+1...No JetDry though!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just be sure your dishwasher actually gets hot enough.

Quick Reply